Current Affairs in Short: 14 May 2019
The Indian Navy has introduced a new test called the Indian Navy Entrance Test for the direct entry of officers after graduation.
Indian Navy introduces entrance test for direct entry of officers
• The Indian Navy on May 14, 2019 introduced a new test called the Indian Navy Entrance Test (INET) for the direct entry of officers after graduation.
• INET, is a new computer-based entrance test introduced, which will be conducted twice a year from September 2019 in various centres across the city.
• The entrance examination will be held along with the University Entry Scheme (UES), Combined Defence Services (CDS), Naval Academy exam and National Defence Academy.
Yuvika-2019 Inaugurated by ISRO Chairman
• The Young Scientist Programme (Yuvika-2019) was inaugurated by the Indian Space Research Organisation Chairman Dr. K Sivan on May 14, 2019 through video from ISRO Headquarters.
• Overall, 110 students from every State and Union Territories are participating in a two week residential training programme at four centres of ISRO.
• The participants will also be visiting Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) at Shriharikota, the spaceport of India, during the programme.
Paytm launches credit card
• Paytm on May 14, 2019 launched a credit card in partnership with the Citigroup thereby, widening its financial product base.
• With the move, Paytm, which is one of India’s top digital payments firms, has taken a huge step forward in the competitive digital payments market.
• For the Citigroup, it will give the banking institution an opportunity to vastly expand its credit card customer base in the country.
• Paytm’s popularity grew three-fold when the Indian Government in a shocking announcement decided to ban high-value currency notes in November 2016.
Ukraine's president-elect fined 32 USD for showing his ballot on poll day
• Ukraine's president-elect Volodymyr Zelenskiy was fined 32 US Dollars for showing his ballot to TV and photo cameras on the election day.
• Zelenskiy, a popular comedian was fined by a local court in Ukraine’s capital Kiev on May 13 for breaking the election law safeguarding the secrecy of voting.
• Zelenskiy is expected to be sworn in as the new President of the nation later this month.
• In a surprise result, the actor and comedian with no political experience won a landslide victory in Ukraine’s recent presidential elections.
Vietnam to mobilize military in fight against African swine fever
• Vietnam has announced that it will mobilise its military and police forces to help combat the outbreak of African swine fever.
• The virus has already resulted in the culling of about four per cent of the country’s pig herd.
• It has so far hit farms in 29 provinces and prompted the authorities to cull more than 1.2 million pigs.
• The African swine fever was first detected in the Southeast Asian country in February.
Election Commission orders repolling at Faridabad booth
• In Haryana, the election commission has ordered fresh polls at polling booth number 88 in Asoati of Prithla Assembly Segment of Faridabad parliamentary constituency.
• The Electoral body also issued directions to bar Micro Observer Sonal Gulati, from any election work for the period of 3 years for failing to report the incident of booth capturing correctly in her report to the observer.
• IAS officer Ashok Kumar Garg shall be posted in place of Faridabad Deputy Commissioner Atul Kumar as District Election Officer and Returning officer in Faridabad Parliamentary constituency.