Current Affairs in Short: 17 January 2019
Union Minister for Commerce and Industries, Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the 10th edition of the India Rubber Expo - 2019 in Mumbai on January 17, 2019. The India Rubber Expo is Asia's largest rubber expo. The event offers a unique opportunity for Indian companies to meet and collaborate with overseas companies.
Government to set up over 460 more Eklavya Model Residential Schools across the country
• The Union government will soon set up over 460 more Eklavya Model Residential Schools across the country.
• Addressing the valedictory programme of the First Eklavya Model Residential Schools National Sports Meet in Hyderabad, Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram said that the government is spending about 25 thousand crore rupees on these schools.
• Stating that the Tribal students are now performing better in all sectors, the Minister said Eklavya Model Residential Schools have expanded into a major education system in the country after Vidyalaya and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas. About 1,700 students from 20 states took part in the National Meet.
Budget Session of Parliament to commence on Jan 31
• The Budget Session of Parliament will commence on the January 31, 2019.
• The session will begin with the address of President Ram Nath Kovind to the joint sitting of both the Houses of Parliament at 11.00 A.M in Central Hall.
• The Interim Budget will be presented on the February 1, 2019. The session will conclude on the February 13.
WCD shortlists 26 children for National Award in 2019
• The Women and Child Development Ministry have shortlisted 26 children for the national award in 2019 for their bravery, social service and exceptional achievement in the fields of innovation, sports and arts.
• The National Selection Committee, under the Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi, finalised the names of awardees for Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2019.
• An official release said a total of 783 applications were received for Baal Shakti Puruskar. The Committee also finalised the names of two individuals and three institutions for Bal Kalyan Puraskar.
Greek PM Tsipras survives confidence vote after Macedonia row
• Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has survived a confidence vote after a row over a landmark name deal with Macedonia sunk his four-year coalition.
• The official count showed that a total of 151 lawmakers supported Mr Tsipras' government out of 299 present, including several independent MPs.
• While speaking after the vote, Tsipras said that Parliament has given a vote of confidence to stability and the effort to regain the country's international credibility.
SC relaxes conditions for Maharashtra dance bars
• The Supreme Court on January 17, 2019 set aside some provisions of a law imposing restrictions on the licensing and functioning of dance bars in Maharashtra.
• A bench headed by Justice A K Sikri quashed certain provisions of the 2016 Maharashtra law like the mandatory installation of CCTV and a partition between barrooms and the dance floor.
• The court allowed payment of tips to performers in Maharashtra dance bars but made it clear that showering of currency notes cannot be allowed.
• The apex court also quashed provision mandating that Maharashtra dance bars should be 1 km away from religious places and educational institutions. It also upheld the condition fixing the timing of dance bars in Maharashtra from 6 pm to 11.30 pm.
Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the 10th edition of the India Rubber Expo - 2019
• Union Minister for Commerce and Industries, Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the 10th edition of the India Rubber Expo - 2019 in Mumbai on January 17, 2019.
• Speaking on the occasion, the Minister said that the rubber industry will continue to grow faster, create more employment opportunities, increase exports and add to the economic output of India.
• The Minister also said that the government is working on a comprehensive technology strategy to increase India’s economy and improve ease of doing business at the micro level.
• He had informed that the government is working to increase India's exports and in the last 13-14 months, India’s exports have achieved almost 10% growth.
• The India Rubber Expo is Asia's largest rubber expo. The event offers a unique opportunity for Indian companies to meet and collaborate with overseas companies.