India-China border trade resumes via Nathu La Pass
• The India-China border bilateral trade for the year 2018 resumed on May 1, 2018 through the Nathu La border with the exchange of gifts between both the sides.
• The trade was disrupted in 2017 following the Doklam standoff.
• In 2016-2017, goods worth Rs 3.54 crore were traded via Nathu La, the Sino-Indian border.
Press freedom down, 3 journalists killed in 2018: Report
• Press freedom in India has deteriorated in 2018 and three journalists have been killed in the first four months, revealed by The Hoot.
• The number of killings documented by The Hoot report for the first four months was the same as in the whole of 2017.
• Moreover, India’s rank also dropped to 138th in this year's World Press Freedom Index, published by Reporters Without Borders. India's rank was 136th in 2017 and 133rd in 2016.
President Ram Nath Kovind to preside over PM-headed panel on Gandhi’s 150th birth Anniversary
• President Ram Nath Kovind on May 2, 2018 presided over the first meeting of the national committee set up for commemoration of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in 2019.
• The 114-member committee, comprising Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, former Prime Ministers and Chief Justice of India, will discuss the policies, plans and preparatory activities for commemoration of the birth anniversary.
• The birth anniversary of the Mahatma Gandhi will be commemorated from October 2, 2019 to October 2, 2020.
Dominican Republic establishes ties with China, breaks with Taiwan
• The Dominican Republic and China announced to establish diplomatic relations as the Caribbean country becomes the latest nation to dump Taiwan in the face of Beijing's growing influence.
• Taiwan Government is constantly working to improve country's international profile but is coming up against a concerted effort by Beijing to shrink its space on global platforms.
• Taiwan has been repeatedly put off from influential forums as organisers come under pressure from Beijing not to recognise the island as a valid participant.
• Mainland China and Taiwan have been ruled separately since 1949, but democratic Taiwan has never been formally declared independent. There now remain just 19 nations worldwide with official ties to Taiwan.
Noted Malayalam novelist Kottayam Pushpanath passes away
• Noted detective novelist Kottayam Pushpanath, who expanded the world of horror fiction in Malayalam literature, died in Kottayam today. He was 80.
• Pushpanath wrote over 100 detective and horror novels in Malayalam, some of them were adopted for films.
• Many of his works were translated into various languages including Tamil, Telugu and Kannada.
Subash Chandra Khuntia appointed as IRDAI Chairman
• Subash Chandra Khuntia was appointed as the Chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
• A 1981 batch IAS officer and a former Chief Secretary of Karnataka, Khuntia will head IRDAI for three years from the date of assuming the charge.
• Khuntia succeeds T.S. Vijayan who retired as IRDAI recently.