Chhattisgarh to get specialised combat unit ‘Black Panther’
• The state of Chhattisgarh would soon be getting a specialised anti-Naxal combat force called the ‘Black Panther’.
• The announcement was made by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on May 21, 2018.
• The force would be set up on the lines of Greyhounds unit, a special force in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh that is dedicated to anti-insurgency operations against Naxalites and Maoists.
• The training of the personnel who will be a part of the special force will be launched soon.
Union Government announces compensation of not less than Rs 1 crore to paramilitary jawan who dies in action
• Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on May 22, 2018 announced that it is the duty of the Border Security Force (BSF) to protect the boundary of the nation, but their duty have no boundaries.
• Addressing the BSF investiture ceremony in New Delhi, Singh said that the first bullet should not be fired upon the neighbours but if the BSF receives a bullet, no one will ask them why they fired.
• He also commended the work done by BSF, saying that it is not just the first line of defence but the first wall of defence.
• The Home Minister also announced that the family of each paramilitary jawan who dies in action will not be given a compensation less than Rs one crore.
Assam government to provide pension to 16 lakh senior citizens
• The Assam government will provide pension to 16 lakh senior citizens of the state.
• Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has directed the Panchayat and Rural Development department to take necessary step in this direction in a bid to empower the senior citizens.
• Under the initiative, the state government will provide pension to all senior citizens who are 60 years and above. The pensioners would get 250 rupees per month which would be transferred online.
India to hold first joint naval exercise with Vietnam
• India is preparing to hold a naval exercise with the Southeast Asian nation Vietnam.
• For the same, three Indian warships– INS Sahyadri, INS Shakti & INS Kamorta entered the Tien Sa Port in Vietnam on May 21.
• On completion of the harbour phase, warships from the two naval forces would conduct their first joint naval exercise.
Haryana to launch Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana
• Haryana government is going to launch Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana for safety of girls in the state.
• Under the scheme, all the girl students will get free travel facility from their home to their educational institutions.
• The main objective of the scheme is to ensure that the girls feel secure at public places, workplaces and while traveling.
Railways to use AI to control air circulation
• In a first, the Indian Railways would use artificial intelligence to control air circulation, to issue emergency alerts and also for supervision and maintenance work in a 10.28-km-long tunnel in Imphal.
• It will also alert the passenger in case of fire and help in quick evacuation in case of an issue.
• This system will also be used in the Hyderabad, Mumbai and Ahmedabad metros.
INSV Tarini returns to base after successful circumnavigation of the globe
• Indian Naval Sailing Vessel (INSV) Tarini with its all women crew successfully completed its circumnavigation of the globe and returned to Goa on May 21.
• Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, who had flagged off the crew on September 10, 2017, was present to welcome them back home along with other naval officers.
• This is the first ever circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women Indian crew.
• The expedition titled ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’ was aimed at promoting women empowerment.