Current Affairs in Short: 23 April 2018
The Reserve Bank of India on April 22, 2018 revised its "Know Your Customer" or the KYC guidelines, following the government's decision to update the 'Prevention of Money Laundering' rules in June 2017.
Diu Smart City becomes first to run on 100 percent Renewable Energy during daytime
• Diu Smart City became the first city in India to run 100 percent on renewable energy during daytime, setting a new benchmark for other cities to become clean and green.
• Diu had been importing 73 percent of its power from Gujarat until 2017.
• However, it is now generating 1.3 MW power annually. To further enhance its solar capacity, Diu offers its residents a subsidy of Rs 10000 to Rs 50000 for installing 1-5KW roof top solar panels.
• Diu is saving about 13000 tonnes of carbon emissions every year.
RBI revises its KYC guidelines
• The Reserve Bank of India on April 22, 2018 revised its "Know Your Customer" or the KYC guidelines, following the government's decision to update the 'Prevention of Money Laundering' rules in June 2017.
• RBI made linking of national biometric ID Aadhaar to bank accounts mandatory. However, this will be subject to the final decision of the Supreme Court on making of Aadhaar mandatory.
• Till now, an officially valid document of address proof along with PAN card and a recent passport size photograph were the key KYC documents.
India wins 10 gold medals at 8th South Asian Judo Championship
• India won 10 gold medals at 8th South Asian Judo Championship in Lalitpur, Nepal.
• Indian women grabbed 7 gold while men won 3 out of total 7 gold medals in the individual category.
• Indian women such as Garima Chaudhary, C. Jina Devi and Tulika Maan showed their golden performance at the championship.
• Nepal and Pakistan bagged two gold medals each.
Deep Italian cave provides clues to detect life on Mars
• Scientists have identified signs of the presence of life about 1300 feet below ground in a massive cave in Italy, a discovery that may help detect life on other planets like Mars.
• Researchers explored the microbiology and geochemistry of the Frasassi Caves in central Italy and found variations in the isotopic content of atoms in the mineral gypsum, which is a weathering product of the cave's formation.
• This isotopic variation, in combination with other data, indicates that life played an active role in producing the gypsum.
6 countries suspend membership in UNASUR regional bloc
• The Union of South American Nations (UNASUR), a South American bloc created to counter US influence in the region, temporarily lost half its members after six countries suspended their memberships.
• Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay and Peru decided to temporarily leave the bloc due to the differences over choosing the secretary general of the group.
• Bolivia, Ecuador, Guyana, Surinam, Uruguay and Venezuela remain in the bloc.
Abdo Benitez wins Paraguay Presidential Elections 2018
• Mario Abdo Benitez, who represents Paraguay's long-dominant Colorado conservatives, won the 2018 Presidential Elections on April 22, 2018.
• Abdo Benitez won 46.49 percent of the vote, against his centrist opponent Efrain Alegre who fetched 42.72 percent votes in a race that was far closer than expected.
• The results were announced by Paraguay's Election Chief Jaime Bestard.
Canada, European Union to host world's first female foreign ministers meeting in September 2018
• Canada and the European Union will together host the world's first female foreign ministers' meeting on September 21, 2018 in Canada. The meeting will be held for 2 days.
• The announcement was made by the Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland on April 22, 2018 in Toronto.
• The female foreign ministers from about 30 countries will be invited to the gathering, which is aimed at deepening global discussion on women's empowerment.