PM Modi to launch 'Main Nahin Hum' portal for IT professionals on Wednesday
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 24, 2018 launched the 'Main Nahin Hum' portal and mobile application. The launch was conducted while the PM interacted with IT and electronic manufacturing professionals across India through video-conferencing.
• According to an official notification, PM Modi interacted with key industry leaders and addressed a gathering consisting of IT professionals and employees of IT and electronic manufacturing organisations from about 100 locations across the nation.
• The 'Main Nahin Hum' portal would work on the theme 'Self4Society'. It will enable IT professionals and organisations to bring together their efforts towards social causes on one platform.
• The portal is expected to help catalyse greater collaboration towards the service of the weaker sections of society, especially by leveraging the benefits of technology. It is also expected to generate wider participation of interested people who are motivated to work for the benefit of society.
EC to ensure constructive participation of Persons with Disabilities during upcoming elections
• The Election Commission has made arrangements for a constructive participation of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) during elections to five States of Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram and Telangana.
• The Commission has issued instructions to issue accessible photo voter slips with Braille features to persons with visual impairment. This is apart from normal photo voter slips to be issued. The panel has also instructed to provide ramps for electors with wheel chairs. Such electors will be given priority for entering the polling booths.
• The Commission has also asked the Chief Electoral officers to ensure that proper transport facility of PwDs is arranged in each and every polling station on the day of polling.
• Besides, each and every PwD voter would be provided free pass on public transport on the polling day.
Nepal launches electric bus service in Kathmandu
• Nepal has introduced electric buses on the roads of its capital city Kathmandu with Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli emphasising on the operation of such vehicles to deal with the shortage of petroleum products in the land-locked country.
• Prime Minister Oli inaugurated the electric bus service by travelling on the bus from Pulchok-based Sajha Yatayat premises to the Prime Minister's Office at Singha Durbar Secretariat.
India, Iran, Afghanistan conduct first trilateral meeting on Chabahar port
• The first trilateral meeting between India, Afghanistan and Iran of the Coordination Council of the Chabahar agreement took place on October 23, 2018 in Tehran.
• The Indian delegation was led by Secretary (Economic Relations) TS Tirumurti, while Deputy Ministers of Transport of Afghanistan and Iran led their delegations.
• Detailed discussions were held between the three sides on full operationalisation of the trilateral agreement for international transit and transport through Chabahar Port.
• All the three nations shared the view that full operationalisation of trilateral Chabahar initiative will promote connectivity and economic development of Afghanistan and the region.
• The next meeting of the Coordination Council will be held in India in the first half of 2019.
UAE designates nine men to terrorist list
• The UAE on October 24, 2018 named nine individuals to be included on its list of terrorists and terror organisations.
• The names include Mohammad Ebrahim Owhadi, Esma’il Razavi, Abdullah Samad Farouqi, Mohammad Daoud Muzzamil, Abdul Rahim Manan, Mohammad Naim Barich, Abdul Aziz Shah Zamani, Sadr Ibrahim and Hafiz Abdul Majid.
• The move reflects the UAE's determination to disrupt all terror-related networks and the sponsors of terrorist activities.
• As part of a collective step, all member states of the Terrorist Financing Targeting Centre (TFTC) have designated the nine names to be included on their lists of terrorists and terrorist organisations.
• The resolution is part of the action being taken by the member states of the TFTC, which include the GCC countries and the United States. The TFTC is co-chaired by the United States and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
India and UAE resolve to further strengthen their strategic and bilateral relations
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan on October 23, 2018 spoke regarding further advancing the historical and strategic friendship ties between the two counties.
• The two leaders, through a telephonic conversation, reaffirmed their robust strategic partnerships and determination to develop their bilateral relations to the higher good of their people.
• The two leaders also exchanged insights over an array of international and regional issues, with emphasis on the latest developments in the Middle East region.
Water, Energy, Technology, and Environment Exhibition begins in Dubai
• The Water, Energy, Technology and Environment Exhibition (WETEX 2018) has begun in Dubai. The exhibition is not only a platform to showcase products of energy, water and the environment but also to launch new technologies and major projects that shape the scene of the energy sector around the world.
• The India Pavilion at WETX 2018 ,set up by the Indian Chamber of Commerce with support of the Consulate General of India, Dubai and the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, is in line with the vision and commitment of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to have sustainable and inclusive growth for all with access to clean water, electricity and housing.
• More than 40 Indian exhibitors having expertise in the field of water, solar and renewable energy, electrical, oil and gas, wire and cables are participating in the three-day exhibition. The exhibition is considered as one of the leading sustainability exhibitions in the Middle East and North Africa region.
• Currently, India is playing a pioneering role in renewable energy technologies such as wind and solar power. It has made substantial progress on the Sustainable Development Goals adopted by the United Nations.
Government to increase Onion supply in Delhi from buffer stock
• The Government has decided to increase the supply of Onion in Delhi from the buffer stock by two to three times from the current level to tide over any constraint in the interim supply of the commodities in the market.
• The implementing agency NAFED has been asked to increase the quantity supplied from Price Stabilisation Fund stock accordingly.
• The decision was taken by the Department of Consumer Affairs at a high level meeting in New Delhi on October 19, 2018, which was chaired by Secretary, Department of Consumer Affairs, Avinash K. Srivastava.
• During the meeting, the price and availability situation of Onion with all the concerned stakeholders was reviewed.
• According to an official release, it was informed that sown area under the Kharif Onion Crop is higher than last year and its arrival has commenced from Karnataka.
326 products registered as geographical indication so far
• According to Government Data, as many as 326 products such as Kancheepuram silk saree, Alphonso Mango, Nagpur Orange and Kolhapuri Chappal have been registered as geographical indications (GI) so far.
• A GI is primarily an agricultural, natural or a manufactured product (handicrafts and industrial goods) originating from a definite geographical territory.
• Typically, such a name conveys an assurance of quality and distinctiveness, which is essentially attributable to the place of its origin.
• Once a product gets the GI tag, no person or company can sell a similar item under that name. The tag is valid for a period of 10 years following which it can be renewed.
• The famous goods that carry the tag include Basmati rice, Darjeeling Tea, Chanderi Fabric, Mysore Silk, Kullu Shawl, Kangra Tea, Thanjavur Paintings, Allahabad Surkha, Farrukhabad Prints, Lucknow Zardozi and Kashmir Walnut Wood Carving.