Current Affairs in Short: 25 July 2019
Reliance Industries (RIL) has become the top-ranked Indian company to feature in the latest Fortune Global 500 list.
Subhash Chandra Garg offers to resign after being shifted to Power Ministry
• Disappointed with the move Subhash Chandra Garg offered to resign after his transfer to the power ministry.
• The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet transferred SC Garg to the power ministry and appointed Atanu Chakraborty as the new economic affairs secretary.
• Garg, a 1983 batch IAS officer from the Rajasthan cadre took over as department of economic affairs secretary in 2017. He became the finance secretary in March, 2019.
Kulasekara retires from international cricket
• Fast bowler of Sri Lanka Nuwan Kulasekara has announced his retirement from international cricket.
• The 37-year-old former world number one ODI bowler, will finish as Sri Lanka's fifth-highest ODI wicket-taker with 199 wickets in 184 matches.
• Kulasekara, who had made his ODI debut in 2003, had last played an ODI in 2017. He also played 21 Tests and 58 T20Is.
Govt targets to place Rooftop Solar projects of 40,000 MW by 2022
• Government of India has set a target for installation of Rooftop Solar projects (RTS) of 40,000 MegaWatt (MW) by 2022 in the country including installation of RTS on rooftop of houses.
• Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) is running Grid Connected Rooftop Solar programme by Projects include installation of solar panels on rooftop of houses.
• In terms of installed rooftop solar panel capacity, Gujarat is on the top followed by Maharashtra with 198.52MW and Tamil Nadu with 151.62MW.
Fortune 500 List: RIL tops the list among Indian companies
• Reliance Industries (RIL) has become the top-ranked Indian company to feature in the latest Fortune Global 500 list.
• Other Indian companies in the Fortune Global 500 list include ONGC (160), State Bank of India (236), Tata Motors (265), Bharat Petroleum (275) and Rajesh Exports (495).
• RIL has got a rank of 106 in the latest list, recording an improvement of 42 positions from its previous ranking.