Current Affairs in Short: 25 March 2019
American mathematician Karen Uhlenbeck won the Abel Prize 2019. Uhlenbeck’s breakthrough work along with mathematician Jonathan Sacks was on “minimal surfaces such as the surface taken by a soap bubble.
American mathematician Karen Uhlenbeck awarded with Abel Prize 2019
• American mathematician Karen Uhlenbeck won the Abel Prize 2019.
• Uhlenbeck’s breakthrough work along with mathematician Jonathan Sacks was on “minimal surfaces such as the surface taken by a soap bubble.
• Uhlenbeck’s work covered minimisation problems in higher dimensions.
• She is acclaimed for her work with partial differential equations that she uses to solve problems in geometry and topology.
• The Abel Prize, first awarded in 2003, includes prize money of 6 million kroner (USD 700,000). It is named after Swedish mathematician Niels Henrik Abel.
BPCL, IOCL awarded exploration rights for Abu Dhabi Onshore Block 1
• A consortium of two Indian oil companies Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited and Indian Oil Corporation Limited were awarded the exploration rights for Abu Dhabi Onshore Block 1.
• The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) signed agreements awarding the exploration rights.
• The approval regarding the same was accorded by Abu Dhabi’s Supreme Petroleum Council.
Delhi Government moves Supreme Court for constitution of larger bench to decide control of services
• The Aam Aadmi Party government moved the Supreme Court seeking constitution of a larger bench to decide the issue of controls the services in Delhi.
• A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi told the Delhi Government counsel that it will look into the matter.
• The apex court had on February 14, 2019 referred to the issue of control of services to a larger bench after delivering a split verdict.
• The two-judge bench had ruled that the Central Government should have final say transfer of bureaucrats in Delhi; however, the bench disagreed on finer details, resulting in a split verdict.
NITI Aayog organises FinTech Conclave 2019
• NITI Aayog organised the FinTech Conclave at Dr. Ambedkar International Center, New Delhi on March 25, 2019.
• The conclave aims to shape India’s continued dominance in FinTech, build the narrative for future strategy and policy efforts.
• The Conclave featured representatives from across the financial space including central ministries, regulators, bankers, startups, service providers and entrepreneurs.
• The Conclave was inaugurated by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das and was attended by senior government officials and secretaries.
• It hosted more than 300 representatives from the leading Financial Institutions including HDFC Bank, IndusInd, ICICI Bank, SBI Card, Tata Capital and FinTechs.
World leaders hail defeat of Islamic State in Syria
• World leaders hailed the defeat of Islamic State after US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces liberated the terror group's last stronghold Baghuz town in Syria.
• US President Donald Trump welcomed the fall of ISIS five-year caliphate. The US would remain vigilant until ISIS is finally defeated.
• British Prime Minister Theresa May praised the courage of the British forces that fought in Syria and Iraq alongside a US-led global military coalition.
• French President Emmanuel Macron said the fall of the caliphate has removed a source of potential terror attacks against France.
Donald Trump orders withdrawal of sanctions against North Korea
• US President Donald Trump ordered the withdrawal of additional large-scale sanctions on North Korea, immediately after the Treasury Department imposed them.
• President Trump's move came after his second summit with Kim held in February 2019 in Hanoi, Vietnam.
• Trump walked out of that summit after refusing to agree to North Korea's demands of lifting all sanctions.
• The Treasury Department on March 21, 2019 announced sanctions on Chinese shipping companies doing business with North Korea.
Robert Mueller submits report on Russian meddling in Trump's 2016 election
• Special counsel Robert Mueller submitted the probe report on alleged involvement between Russia and US President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign.
• During his 22 months of investigation, Mueller, a former FBI director, criminally charged three companies and 34 individuals, of which seven pleaded guilty and one was convicted.
• He had also posed question to President Trump which was responded to in writing.
India-funded Educational Campus inaugurated in Nepal
• Educational campus constructed with India's financial grant of 35.5 million Nepalese rupees was inaugurated on March 23, 2019.
• The newly constructed three storey building of Siddheshwar Education Public Campus in Ramechhap district comprises of 12 classrooms, faculty room, principal room, library, laboratory, a meeting hall and toilets.
• It will not only boost the learning environment of students but also enhance access to education to needy, poor and marginalized students of Ramechhap District.
• As part of the Development Partnership Programme, India is providing assistance to institutions at all levels from primary schools to universities in Nepal.