Current Affairs in Short: 28 March 2018
India and China agreed to continue to take forward initiatives identified in Five Year Development Programme for Economic and Trade Cooperation (DPETC) signed between both countries in September 2014.
Vijay Raghavan appointed as Principal Scientific Advisor to Union Government
• Krishnaswamy Vijay Raghavan was appointed as the principal scientific adviser to the government of India.
• Vijay Raghavan will succeed physicist Rajagopala Chidambaram who served the position for more than 16 years.
• Vijay Raghavan is a former Director of National Centre for Biological Sciences and was appointed as Secretary of Department of Biotechnology in 2013.
India's first Insect Museum Opened In Tamil Nadu
• An insect museum with the state-of-the-art amenities was launched by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswamy at the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.
• The museum, established at a 6,691 sqft area with a total cost of Rs 5 crore, is fully dedicated to insects and is first of its kind in the country.
• It would display insects preserved as specimens depicting their different developmental stages, images, videos and their unique behaviour, habits and habitats.
Department Of Posts Launches Cool EMS Service Between India And Japan
• The Union Ministry of Communications launched the Cool EMS Service between India and Japan.
• Cool EMS service is one-way service from Japan to India which allows customers in India to import Japanese food items for personal use, under Indian regulations.
• Initially, Cool EMS Service will be available in Delhi only.
• Food items will be carried by Japan Post in special cool boxes containing refrigerant to preserve the quality of the food items.
India and China agree to a Roadmap for addressing Trade Imbalance
• The eleventh session of the China-India joint-group on Economic Relations, Trade, Science & Technology was held in New Delhi.
• During the session, both the countries reaffirmed their commitments to promote sustainable bilateral trade.
• They agreed to continue to take forward initiatives identified in Five Year Development Programme for Economic and Trade Cooperation (DPETC) signed between both countries in September 2014.
Anushka Sharma and PV Sindhu featured in Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia 2018 List
• Bollywood actress-producer Anushka Sharma and Badminton Ace P V Sindhu got featured in the Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia 2018 list for the first time in their career.
• Apart from Anushka, several other Indians were also recognised for their significant contribution through their varied work.
• The list includes innovators who are reshaping their industries and changing Asia for the better.
US and India hold naval training
• Indian Navy’s Talwar class frigate INS Tarkash carried out a training exercise with the US Navy’s Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (TRCSG) which was until now involved in operations against the Islamic State in the Arabian Gulf.
• INS Tarkash sailed with aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, guided-missile destroyer USS Preble (DDG 88) and other ships on March 25 as part of the exercise.
• During the exercise, personnel from both the sides practiced working together and strengthened their crews’ ship handling.
RBI to release limited edition coins to mark 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh
• RBI will soon come out with a Rs 350 commemorative coin to mark 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh, the 10th and last Sikh Guru.
• The coin with standard weight of 35 gram will have 50 per cent silver, 40 per cent copper and 5 per cent each of nickel and zinc.
• The coin will bear the Lion Capitol of Ashoka Pillar in the centre with "Satyamev Jayate" inscribed below.