Current Affairs in Short: 29 July 2019
Chandrayaan-2 has been successfully carried out third orbit raising manoeuvre for India’s second lunar mission.
Chandrayaan-2 completes third orbit-raising manoeuvre
• Chandrayaan-2 has been successfully carried out third orbit raising manoeuvre for India’s second lunar mission.
• The manoeuvre has been performed by burning the propulsion fuel onboard the spacecraft for 16 minutes and 48 seconds.
• After the manoeuvre, Chandrayaan-2 has reached a new elliptical orbit around the earth at 276 kilometres.
Diplomatic passport holders of India in Benin no longer need a visa for travel
• India and Benin signed an important agreement for the circulation of diplomatic passport holders from both countries.
• After the bilateral talks with his Benin counterpart in the capital city Cotonou, President Ram Nath Kovind said in a press statement that both the countries have reviewed their global partnership.
• From now on, holders of diplomatic passports from Benin and India will no longer need a visa to travel to both countries.
More than 5,000 electric buses sanctioned for 65 cities
• An inter-ministerial panel has sanctioned 5645 electric buses for operations in 65 cities and for inter-city operations to 8 state transport undertakings.
• NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant tweeted that the decision will give huge impetus to the automobile sector, clean up the cities and drive Make in India.
• The GST Council had decided last week to cut the tax rates on e-vehicles from 12 per cent to 5 per cent with effect from 1st of August.
Parliament passes bill to ban unregulated deposit schemes
• Parliament has passed the Banning of Unregulated Deposit Schemes Bill 2019 with approval of Rajya Sabha. The bill has been already passed by Lok Sabha.
• Banning of Unregulated Deposit Schemes Bill seeks to build a proper mechanism to ban the unregulated deposit schemes other than deposits taken in the ordinary course of businesses and to protect the interest of depositors.
• Bill provides for attachment of properties or assets and subsequent realization of assets for repayment to depositors.