Current Affairs in Short: 29 May 2018
Pakistan appointed former Chief Justice Nasir Ul Mulk as interim Prime Minister until General Elections that will be held on July 25, 2018.
Nasir Ul Mulk appointed as the interim Prime Minister
• Pakistan appointed former Chief Justice Nasir Ul Mulk as interim Prime Minister until General Elections that will be held on July 25, 2018.
• The interim administration of Pakistan usually does not make any major decisions until the new government is elected.
• Mulk has earlier served as the interim chief of the Election Commission of Pakistan.
Google Doodle honours S P L Sorensen, the creator of the pH scale
• Google Doodle on May 29, 2018 honoured Danish biochemist Soren Peder Lauritz Sorensen, who was responsible for introducing the pH scale.
• Sorensen, while working as the head of the Carlsberg Laboratory in Copenhagen, derived the pH scale to measure the acidity of a substance.
• The first paper in which he used the pH scale described two methods of measuring alkalinity, the first based on electrodes and the second studying preselected indicators and comparing colour samples.
DAC approves procurement of equipment for Defence Forces
• The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the procurement of equipment for the Defence Forces valued at over Rs 6900 crore.
• DAC approved procurement of Thermal Imaging (TI) Night Sights for the Rocket Launcher (RL) used by the Army and the Air Force under ‘BUY(Indian) IDDM’ category through established Indian Vendors.
• The TI sight for 84mm RL will be used by troops in operations to facilitate accurate and continuous engagement of moving and static enemy targets and destruction of field bunkers during hours of complete darkness.
4th International Yoga Day’s main event to be organised in Dehradun
• The main event of 4th International Yoga Day celebrations (IDY-2018) will be held on June 21, 2018 at Dehradun in Uttrakhand.
• Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, Secretary of Ministry of AYUSH, is in Dehradun to initiate the preparations regarding this mega event.
• The 2017 main Yoga Day event was held in Lucknow with PM Modi sharing the stage with Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath.
Akshay launches ad campaign for Swachh Bharat Mission
• Akshay Kumar launched an advertisement campaign for the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) at a Collectors Convention for Toilet Technology.
• The campaign focuses on promoting the twin pit toilet technology in rural India.
• The advertisement campaign is supported by the World Bank.
Sangeeta Bahl: Oldest Indian woman to scale Mount Everest
• Sangeeta Bahl, at the age of 53, has become the oldest Indian woman to scale the Mount Everest.
• She scaled the peak on May 19, 2018, with the help of 2 Sherpas.
• She carried a banner to the peak advocating early detection of breast cancer in women & funding for the same.
• She has already conquered 6 out of the 7 highest peaks of the world.
Himachal Pradesh Government to promote Organic Farming
• The Himachal Pradesh government recently launched the ‘Prakritik Kheti Khushhaal Kisaan Yojana’ (PKKKY) to promote organic farming.
• The government will undertake an integrated approach for promoting organic and zero budget natural farming system.
• PKKKY will enhance agricultural income through the adoption of low-cost climate-resilient farming system.
Tripura Government to phase out plastic carry bags
• The Tripura government has set August 15 as the deadline to phase out plastic carry bags completely from the state, as part of the ‘Himalayan Cleanup’ programme.
• The government urged people to replace their plastic bags with biodegradable ones.
• The Himalayan Cleanup campaign was launched in 12 mountain states in the country to end plastic pollution in the hilly areas.
RBI appoints Sudha as its first Chief Financial Officer
• Sudha Balakrishnan was appointed as the first Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
• Prior to this appointment, Balakrishnan, a chartered accountant, was serving as the Vice-President of the NSDL, India’s first and largest depository.
• She will be the 12th executive director at RBI, and will serve a three-year term.
Netherlands PM launches ‘Clean Air India Initiative’
• Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte launched the ‘Clean Air India Initiative’ in Delhi.
• The Clean Air India Initiative is a project between ‘Get In The Ring’, a platform for start-ups, the Government of the Netherlands, Start-up India and INDUS Forum.
• The campaign aims to curb air pollution in Indian cities by promoting partnerships between Indian start-ups and Dutch companies.