Commonwealth Games 2018 to open with a glittering ceremony at Gold Coast, Australia
• The 21st edition of the Commonwealth Games will begin on April 4, 2018 in Gold Coast, Australia, with a colourful opening ceremony.
• Carrara Stadium will host the opening ceremony which is expected to showcase Australia's diversity and culture.
• This year, the Games will mark the 5th time that Australia has hosted the games.
• India will be represented at the opening ceremony by a contingent of over 200 athletes who will be led by flag-bearer P V Sindhu, the Olympic Silver medallist.
Government sets up IT Grievance Redressal Mechanism to address the grievances of taxpayers on GST Portal
• The GST Council on April 4, 2018 delegated its powers to an IT Grievance Redressal Committee to approve and recommend the steps to be taken to redress the grievance and provide relief to the taxpayer.
• The relief could be in the nature of allowing filing of any Form or Return prescribed in law or amending any Form or Return already filed.
• However, this mechanism will not be available to the individual taxpayer who face problems like poor internet connectivity or failure of power supply.
United Nations terror list has 139 Pakistan entries
• The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on April 4, 2018 identified 139 Pakistani terrorist individuals and entities who have lived in Pakistan or operated from there.
• The list included the names of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and its chief Hafiz Saeed, Osama bin Laden’s heir apparent and Al Qaeda’s Ayman al-Zawahiri, Harkatul Mujahideen, Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan and others.
• Hafiz Saeed is also listed as a person wanted by Interpol for his involvement in terrorist activities.
• The list also includes Dawood Ibrahim, an Indian national who has held several Pakistani passports issued in Rawalpindi and Karachi.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Indonesia declares emergency after port city oil spill
• Indonesia on April 3, 2018 declared a state of emergency around a port on Borneo island after a large oil spill and fire killed four people.
• Disaster mitigation officials were able to control the blaze in the port city of Balikpapan but were still working to contain the spill.
• Balikpapan, in East Kalimantan, is the major mining and energy hub and home to one of the few oil refineries in the country.
India, Japan and US hold trilateral meeting
• India, Japan and the United States on April 4, 2018 participated in the ninth trilateral meeting in New Delhi.
• The main focus of this 'Trilateral Infrastructure Working Group' was on connectivity, counter-terrorism and other regional and global issues.
• The meeting was held in the backdrop of the ongoing trade war between China and the USA that erupted after both sides imposed tariffs on each other’s goods.
US proposes USD 50 billion tariffs on 1300 Chinese products
• The United States on April 3, 2018 announced additional tariffs of 25 percent on 1300 products imported from China that could amount to USD 50 billion.
• Sectors subject to the proposed tariffs include industries such as aerospace, information and communication technology, robotics, and machinery.
• The list will undergo further review in a public notice and comment process, including a hearing.