Google doodle honours Michael Dertouzos, who predicted the impact of the Internet
• Google Doodle paid tribute to computer scientist Michael Dertouzos on his 82nd birth anniversary.
• The doodle shows Dertouzos with a chalk in his hand, facing away from a black board. This picture is flanked by few other small pictures of computers and internet.
• He foresaw how the internet would impact the lives of everyday people and even predicted the popularity of personal computers.
• Michael Leonidas Dertouzos was a Greek professor in the departments of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Director of the MIT Laboratory for Computer Science from 1974 to 2001.
• He helped to maximise the potential of computers at MIT.
BJP candidate Devisingh Patel passes away
• BJP candidate and Former Minister, Devisingh Patel died of a heart attack. He was 66 and is survived by wife and two sons.
• He contested from the Rajpur Assembly seat in Barwani district of Madhya Pradesh
• Patel served as a minister of state in the Cabinet of former chief minister Uma Bharti.
• He first entered the Assembly in 1990 and won three Assembly elections in a row from Rajpur in 1998, 2003 and 2008.
• In 2013, he lost to Congress candidate Bala Bachchan.
Odisha Government launches Saura Jalnidhi scheme
• Odisha Government launched Saura Jalnidhi scheme to encourage use of solar energy in irrigation by farmers.
• Under this scheme, farmers will be given 90 percent subsidy and 5000 solar pumps.
• This will provide irrigation benefits in 2500 acres of the state.
• The beneficiary of this scheme will be farmers who have valid farmer identity cards and have minimum 0.5 acres of agricultural land.
• The scheme aims to increase the use of solar photovoltaic pump sets in those areas so that irrigation facilities can be provided where power system is bad.
• For this scheme, state government has made a provision of Rs 27.18 crore in the financial year 2017-18.
Maharashtra Government approves conversion of aircraft carrier INS Viraat into floating museum
• Maharashtra State Cabinet approved conversion of Indian Navy’s longest-serving aircraft carrier INS Viraat into India’s first-ever maritime museum-cum-marine adventure centre.
• At present, INS Viraat is at Mumbai’s Naval dockyard after it was decommissioned (retired) in 2017.
• As per state government’s plan, INS Viraat’s conversion will be on public private partnership (PPP) basis.
• It will be grouted (grounded, sealed to seabed with concrete and moored) seven nautical miles off Malvan coast at Nivati rocks in Sindhudurg district.
• This ship will host biodiversity centres and marine adventure centre, providing sailing and scuba-diving experiences.
• There will be virtual galleries, cafeterias and even training centre for merchant navy crew.
India and Japan sign loan Agreement for Turga Hydel Project
• India and Japan signed loan agreement worth Rs 1817 crore for construction of Turga Pumped Storage Hydel Project.
• On completion, this project will contribute to Industrial Development and Living Standard Improvement in the West Bengal.
• This loan agreement was signed between Union Ministry of Finance and Katsuo Matsumoto, Chief Representative Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
• The objective of project is to strengthen capability to respond to fluctuation in supply and demand of power.
• It also seeks to improve stability of power supply by constructing pumped storage facilities, thereby contributing to industrial development and improvement of Living Standard of people in West Bengal.
Mizoram Speaker Hiphei resigns
• Mizoram Speaker Hiphei resigned from his post from the House as well as the Congress.
• He would join the BJP, just three weeks ahead of the Assembly elections.
• The seven-time Congress legislator submitted his resignation letter to Deputy Speaker R. Lalrinawma who accepted it.
• He is the fifth Congress MLA to resign from the 40-member House since September 2018.
• Mizoram, the only State in the north-east under Congress rule, will go to the polls on November 28. 2018.