Current Affairs in Short: 7 October 2019
Indian on October 7, 2019, got the first tranche of the Swiss Bank accounts details of the Indian Citizens.
IFS Ramesh Pandey selected for UNEP’s Asia Environmental Enforcement Award 2019
• United Nations Environment Programme has selected the Senior Indian Forest Service officer Ramesh Pandey for the prestigious Asia Environmental Enforcement Award.
• Pandey will be conferred with the award on November 13, 2019, at the United Nations Conference Centre, Bangkok.
• Pandey is a 1996-batch IFS officer. He is currently posted as the Chief Conservator Forests in Lucknow.
• He is known for his investigation on poachers and combating trans-boundary environmental crime.
India receives the first tranche of Swiss Bank account details
• Indian on October 7, 2019, got the first tranche of the Swiss Bank accounts details of the Indian Citizens.
• The information was shared under the automatic exchange of information framework signed between the two countries earlier in 2018.
• Switzerland's Federal Tax Administration (FTA) has exchanged the information within the framework of global standards on AEOI.
• India is among the 75 countries with which Switzerland is sharing the financial accounts detail.
Also Read | Top Current Affairs Quiz: 7 October 2019
WTO hosted World Cotton Day celebrations in Geneva
• World Trade Organisation (WTO) hosted the first World Cotton Day (WCD) celebrations in Geneva, Switzerland.
• The Indian side was represented by the Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani who attended the 5-day event.
• India pavilion at the World Cotton Day exhibition was designed by fashion institute NIFT.
• A sculpture of Mahatma Gandhi made of cotton was displayed to commemorate his 150th birth anniversary.
Justice Ajai Lamba took oath as Chief Justice of Guwahati High Court
• Justice Ajai Lamba took oath as the Chief Justice of the Guwahati High Court on October 7, 2019.
• Justice Lamba was administered the oath of secrecy to the office by Governor Professor Jagdish Mukhi at the Raj Bhawan in Guwahati.
• Several ministers including the Assam Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal attended the oath-taking ceremony.
India to adopt BS-VI emission norms by April 2022
• Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar recently announced that India will be adopting the BS-VI emission norms by April 2022.
• Bharat Stage Six (BS-VI) is expected to bring transformation in fuels.
• The Government has spent Rs 60,000 crore on switching from BS-IV fuel to BS-VI fuel.
• The motive is to tackle the alarming pollution levels.