Veteran Bollywood actor Dharmendra will be conferred with the prestigious Raj Kapoor Lifetime Achievement award and filmmaker Rajkumar Hirani will be conferred with the Raj Kapoor Special Contribution award.
The information was shared by Maharashtra culture minister Vinod Tawde on April 15, 2018. The awards, instituted by the Maharashtra state government, will be given away at the 55th Maharashtra state Marathi Film Festival.
• Dharmendra has more than 250 films to his name. His 6-decade old career boasts of over 100 box-office hits including Bandini, Mamta, Anupama, Satyakam, Seeta Aur Geeta, Sholay, Chupke Chupke and Yaadon Ki Baarat.
• The 82-year-old actor received the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to Hindi cinema in 1997.
• He was also a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India, representing Bikaner constituency in Rajasthan from Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
• In 2012, he was conferred India's third highest civilian honour Padma Bhushan by the then President Pratibha Patil.
About Raju Hirani
• Starting out as a film editor, Raju Hirani had less luck so he turned to advertising and gradually established himself as a director and producer of advertising films and then returned to films.
• Currently, he is known to be one of the most critically acclaimed filmmakers of the 21st century Indian cinema.
• Hirani has delivered some of the most critically-acclaimed and commercially-successful films such as PK, 3 Idiots, Munna Bhai MBBS and Lage Raho Munnabhai.
• In fact, Hirani’s first directorial venture Munnabhai MBBS (2003) starring Sanjay Dutt is considered a cult classic.
• Hirani has won several awards for his work including National Awards, Filmfare, IIFA and Stardust.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
• Veteran Marathi actor Vijay Chavhan has been chosen for the V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement award. Chavhan, who is a well-known Marathi stage actor, has appeared in many Marathi films as well as on television.
• He is best known for his role of Mavshi in the famous Marathi stage drama 'Moruchi Mavshi'. He has also worked in Hindi films.
• Actor-Director Mrinal Kulkarni has been chosen for the V Shantaram Special Contribution award. Kulkarni has worked in both films and Television and is best known for featuring in the television show ‘Son Pari’.
• Kulkarni also directed 'Prem Mhanje Prem Asta' and the Marathi historical drama 'Rama Madhav'.
While both the lifetime achievement awards carry a citation and cash reward worth Rs 5 lakh, the special contribution awards carry a citation and cash prize worth Rs 3 lakh each.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.