Eminent theatre personality Asim Basu passes away
Besides, giving stage craft and art direction in more than 500 plays and films, Basu also directed over 200 plays.
Eminent theatre personality, artist, painter and writer Asim Basu passed away on 1 February 2017 following a prolonged illness at Bhubaneswar, Odisha. He was 82. He is survived by his son and two daughters.
Basu was closely associated with the art and culture of Odisha for over five decades.
About Asim Basu
• Born in a small village in north Balasore, Basu was famous for his beautiful and graphic stage craft direction.
• Basu left his home at an very early age to learn paintings from Kolkata as his family members were against his painting career.
• He started as a book cover designer when the Odia literary world was immensely active.
• His art-direction in films like Agni Sanketa (Odia) and Shodh (Hindi) was really commendable.
• He had performed in films like Jaga Balia, Dadagiri and many others.
• Besides, giving stage craft and art direction in more than 500 plays and films, Basu also directed over 200 plays.
• Widely known for his impeccable set design work in Odia movies and designing Odia book covers and movie posters, Basu was awarded with Parampara Samman in 2012.
• He had received the Odisha Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1998.
• Basu was chosen for Dharmapada Award for the year 2010, which he never received.