Former Union Minister P. Shiv Shankar passed away on 27 February 2017 after a prolonged illness. He was 87.
In his political career spanning over three decades, P. Shiv Shankar served as External Affairs and Human Resource Development Minister.
About P. Shiv Shankar
• Born on 10 August 1929, P. Shiv Shankar obtained his bachelor’s degree from Hindu College, Amritsar. He earned a degree in LL.B. Law College, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
• In 1979, he was elected to 6th Lok Sabha from Secunderabad. He was elected again from the same constituency in 1980.
• In 1980, he was made Union Minister of Law and Justice.
• In 1985, he was elected to Rajya Sabha from Gujarat. He remained in Rajya Sabha till 1993 for two terms. He was made Union Minister of External Affairs and Minister of Human Resource Development during these terms.
• From 1987 to 1988, he served as the Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission.
• From 1988 to 1989, he became Leader of the House in Rajya Sabha.
• He served as the Governor of Sikkim from 21 September 1994 to 11 November 1995.
• He also served as the Governor of Kerala from 1995 to 1996.