India and Czech Republic on 19 August 2014 signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on technical cooperation in railway sector. This MoU was signed between the Union Ministry of Railways and Czech Railways (Ceske Drahy) of the Czech Republic and Association of Czech Railway Industry (ACRI) of the Czech Republic.
The MoU was signed at Rail Bhawan in New Delhi by Chairman of Railway Board, Arunendra Kumar and Ambassador of Czech Republic, Miloslav Stasek.
Potential cooperation areas as per the MoU
• Freight operations- Logistics of automotive transport
• Passenger operations – raising speeds up to 200 kmph
• Infrastructure building and management – station development and workshop modernization
• Information & communication technologies especially for passenger amenities
• Modernisation of rolling stock
• Modernisation of signaling & telecom and others
This MoU will be valid for a period of three years and it can be extended further for successive periods of one year at a time.
Comment: It seems that the MoU on technical cooperation in railway sector would help the Indian government to complete its plan of running semi high-speed trains in the country.
Where: in New Delhi
When: 19 August 2014