The Union Government of India on 30 May 2014 signed a credit agreement of 121.20 million US dollar from the World Bank for the Uttarakhand Decentralized Watershed Development Project (UDWDP).
Main objective of the project is to increase the efficiency of natural resource use and productivity of rain fed agriculture by participating communities in selected micro watersheds of Uttarakhand. It is expected that the UDWDP will be completed by September 2021.
Four components of the Project include
• Social Mobilization and Participatory Watershed Planning
• Watershed Treatment and Rain fed Area Development
• Enhancing Livelihood Opportunities
• Knowledge Management and Project Coordination
Signatories of the agreement included
• Michael Haney, World Bank’s Acting Director in New Delhi office
• Nilaya Mitash, the Joint Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs
• MK Khan, Principal Secretary, Government of Uttarakhand and Chief Project Director Watershed Management Directorate, Government of Uttarakhand
When: 30 May 2014