India was designated on 10 April 2015 to chair the ninth meeting of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) council to be held for two days starting from 10 June 2015.
The scheduled meeting will be held in Abu Dhabi, the capital of United Arab Emirates.
India will chair the meeting of the 21 member council, which will guide the agency’s future programmes and activities and helps set the agenda for the meeting of the annual Assembly to be held in January 2016.
The eighth meeting of the Council took place in November 2014 in Abu Dhabi.
• IRENA was established on 26 January 2009 as an intergovernmental organization to supports countries in their transition to a sustainable energy future.
• It serves as the principal platform for international cooperation, a centre of excellence, and a repository of policy, technology, resource and financial knowledge on renewable energy.
• It has 140 members including India, which is a founder-member of the organization.
• IRENA has two main governing structures-IRENA Assembly and IRENA Council.
• The IRENA Assembly takes decisions at the macro level and gives overall policy direction to IRENA.
• The IRENA Council is the main Governing Body of the Agency, which is responsible for implementing decisions of the Assembly.
• The Director-General of IRENA is Adnan Z. Amin, a national of Kenya.
What: To be chaired by India
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.