India's Manushi Chhillar was crowned Miss World 2017 at the prestigious pageant’s 67th edition that was held in Sanya, China on 18 November 2017.
The 20-year-old was crowned Miss World 2017 by outgoing titleholder Stephanie Del Val le, Miss World from Puerto Rico. Chhillar’s win has brought home the coveted title after a 17-year-long wait. The last Indian contestant to win Miss World was Priyanka Chopra in the year 2000.
The other contestants who made it to the top 5 include Miss England, Miss France, Miss Kenya and Miss Mexico. While Miss Mexico Andrea Meza was the first runner up, England’s Stephanie Hill came in as the second runner up.
Almost 108 contestants from countries across the world participated in the beauty pageant.
Chhillar’s win has also levelled India with Venezuela, as the countries with most number of titles in the history of the pageant.
About Manushi Chhillar
• Born on 14 May 1997, Chhillar is a medical student from Haryana. While her father Mitra Basu Chhillar is a scientist at the DRDO, her mother Neelam Chhillar is an associate professor and the department head of neurochemistry at the Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences.
• She had won Femina Miss India World 2017 in May 2017, representing the state of Haryana.
• She is the sixth Indian woman to win Miss World and the first since Priyanka Chopra, who won Miss World 2000.
• She is a trained Kuchipudi dancer and has trained under legendary dancers Raja and Radha Reddy and Kaushalya Reddy.
• She has also attended the National School of Drama.
• At Miss World 2017, Chhillar was a semifinalist in the Top Model, People's Choice, and Multimedia competitions.
• She was also a co-winner in the Beauty with a Purpose competition.
• Her Beauty with a Purpose project was Project Shakti. The campaign's goal was to spread awareness about menstrual hygiene.
Miss World-India History
• The coveted title was last won by Priyanka Chopra in 2000.
• Yukta Mookhey claimed the title in 1999.
• Before that, Diana Hayden had bagged the title in 1997.
• Aishwarya Rai won the great honour in the year 1994.
• The first-ever Indian to win the crown was Reita Faria in the year 1966.