International Conference on Zero was held at UNESCO headquarters in Paris, France from 4 April – 5 April 2016. It was hosted by the permanent delegation of India to UNESCO along with Pierre and Marie Curie University.
The inauguration of the Conference was held at Pierre and Marie Curie University on 4 April 2016 while all other sessions were held at UNESCO headquarters.
The International Conference will share the rich and remarkable history of mathematics, through the participation of some brilliant minds, resonating with the UNESCO's mandate to advance, transfer and share knowledge for the greater global good.
Highlights of the Conference
• Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Smriti Irani attended the conference along with Fields medallists M. Bhargava and L. Lafforgue.
• The Conference was held on the following topics:
- Gems of Ramanujan and their Lasting Impact on Mathematics
- Indian Mathematics: Negative Numbers, Zero, Infinity and Beyond
- Zero: Infinity and Set Theory
- Panel discussion on the Arabic traditions in Mathematics
- Mathematics in Indian Music
• The bronze statue of the great Indian mathematician and astronomer Aryabhata who is the living symbol of ancient wisdom was unveiled by the Union Minister at the UNESCO headquarters.
Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani attended the Leaders' Forum held at UNESCO Headquarters Paris as a part of the 38th session of the UNESCO General Conference on 16-17 November 2015.
During her visit, the minister held a bilateral meeting with Irina Bokov, the Director General of UNESCO to discuss the full range of India's cooperation with the organization.
As a follow up to the discussions, on the occasion of the National Mathematics Day on 22 December 2015 both the leaders issued Joint Statement to organize a Conference on 'Zero' at UNESCO headquarters in Paris in 2016.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Hosted by India & UNESCO
When: 4 April – 5 April 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.