22 May: International Day for Biological Diversity
The United Nations (UN) observed the International Day for Biological Diversity (IBD) on 22 May 2016. The theme for the year 2016 is Mainstreaming Biodiversity; Sustaining People and their Livelihoods.
This year theme highlights the role of biodiversity in underpinning development. The UN also highlighted that biodiversity is an important cross-cutting issue in the message marking the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Besides, the thirteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP 13) to be held in Cancun, Mexico from 4 to 17 December 2016 will focus on the mainstreaming of biodiversity within and across sectors, which is closely linked to 2016 IDB theme.
• The United Nations General Assembly, by its resolution 55/201 of 20 December 2000, proclaimed 22 May as the International Day for Biological Diversity.
• The day aims at increasing understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues and to commemorate the adoption of Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) on 22 May 1992 by the Nairobi Final Act.
• Earlier 29 December was designated as IBD to commemorate the date of entry into force of the CBD.
• The International Day for Biological Diversity falls within the scope of the UN Post-2015 Development Agenda's Sustainable Development Goals.
• The theme of 2015 IBD was Biodiversity for Sustainable Development.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App