Former Chief Justice of Bombay High Court, Justice Manjula Chellur was appointed as the Chairperson of the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (APTEL) on August 13, 2018. She has been appointed for a period of 3 years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
The Tribunal’s judicial member Justice KN Patil and technical members SD Dubey, IJ Kapoor and BN Talukdar were present on the occasion. Tribunal Bar Association President MG Ramachandran was also present and he assured the bench full cooperation of the bar members in day to day business. A large number of advocates and other eminent guests were also present at the function.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) had approved the proposal for appointment of Justice Chellur, in the pay scale, with allowances and benefits admissible to the post. The APTEL had been without a full-time Chairperson for eight months, since the retirement of Justice Ranjana P Desai on November 30, 2017.
About Justice Manjula Chellur
• Justice Manjula Chellur was born on December 5, 1955 in Karnataka.
• She received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Allum Sunmangalamma Women's College, Bellary, and went on to earn her law degree from Renukacharya Law College, Bangalore.
• In 1977, the Supreme Court of India sponsored her on a Gender & Law fellowship to England's University of Warwick.
• In 2013, Justice Chellur received an honorary doctorate from the Karnataka State Women's University.
• Chellur was the first woman Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court. She also served as the Chief Justice of Kerala High Court and was the first female judge of the Karnataka High Court.
• She was also the second woman to be appointed as the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court in 2016, a post she held until her retirement on December 4, 2017.
What: Appointed Chairperson
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider