Kosnam Himalaya Singh appointed as Lieutenant General
Konsam Himalaya Singh became the first Lieutenant General in the army from Manipur
Konsam Himalaya Singh became the first Lieutenant General in the army from North East States on 12 February 2014. Singh is the senior most serving officer in the army from Manipur. At present Singh is serving in the military secretary’s branch which is headquartered in New Delhi.
About Konsam Himalaya Singh
- Singh was born in Chararngpat village, Thoubal district Maj, Manipur. He completed his graduation in Defence Services Staff College Wellington and National Defence College.
- Singh was commissioned to the second battalion Rahput Regiment in 1978.
- Singh got his masters in defence studies from Madras University, masters in management studies from Osmaina University and MPhil in strategic studies from Madras University.
- Singh has operational experience in Counter Insurgency Operations in Jammu and Kashmir and in North East which included Line of Control (LoC), Line of Actual Control (LAC) and HAA (High Altitude Area).
- In Kargil war, Singh commanded 27 Rajput Regiment and he was awarded Yudh Seva Medal for leading successful operations against Pakistan.
- Singh was awarded thrice the COAS commendation card and once Army Commander’s commendation card.