Lieutenant General SK Saini in third week of May 2016 took over as the 46th Commandant of the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun.
Who is Lieutenant General SK Saini?
• Lt Gen Saini is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy (NDA) and the Indian Military Academy (IMA).
• He was commissioned into the 7th Battalion of the Jat Regiment in June 1981.
• He has held various staff, instructional and command appointments.
• He has commanded his battalion, a mountain brigade and a counter insurgency force in Jammu & Kashmir.
• His staff experience includes appointment of Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade, GSO1 (Operations) of an Infantry Division, BGS of a Corps, Director, Military Operations and other key appointments at the Army Head Quarters.
• He has also been senior directing staff at the National Defence College (NDC) and a weapon instructor in the National Security Guards Training Centre.
• He is a graduate of the Army Command and staff course at the Staff College, Camberley, in the UK and has studied at the Royal College of Military Science, Shrivenham, UK.
• He has been awarded including the Chief of Army Staff Commendation, the Army Commander Commendation, the Yudh Seva Medal and the Vishisht Seva Medal.
About Indian Military Academy
• The Indian Military Academy, Dehradun is the officer training Academy of the Indian Army.
• It was established in 1932.
• The academy is located in the foothills of the Himalayas, about 8 km west of Dehradun in the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand.
• Brigadier L.P. Collins was the first Commandant of IMA.
• Brigadier Thakur Mahadeo Singh, DSO, was appointed the first Indian Commandant of the academy.
• Brigadier M.M. Khanna, MVC was the first IMA alumni to be appointed Commandant of the IMA.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: Third week of May 2016