Lt. General Dalbir Singh Suhag took over as Chief of Army Staff on 31 July 2014. He succeeded General Bikram Singh to become the 28th Army Chief and will serve as Army chief for 29 months till 31 December 2016.
59-year-old Lt. Gen. Suhag was designated as Army chief in May 2014 by the outgoing United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
About Lt. Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag
• He is an alumnus of Sainik School, Chittorgarh who joined National Defence Academy in Khadakwasla in Pune in 1970.
• He was commissioned in 4/5 Gorkha Rifles in June 1974.
• He is the second Gorkha Rifles officer to become the Army chief after Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw.
• He had participated in the 1987 Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) operation named Operation Pawan in Sri Lanka
• He holds the distinction of commanding 8 Mountain Division in Kargil from October 2007 to December 2008
• He took over as the Eastern Army Commander on 16 June 2012
• He became Vice Chief of Army Staff in December 2013
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
When: 31 July 2014