National Geographic Society (NGS) on 14 September 2015 was selected for the UNEP Champions of the Earth award in the Science and Innovation category.
NGS is a global nonprofit membership organization driven by a passionate belief in the power of science, exploration and storytelling to change the world. It is headquartered in Washington DC, the USA.
Achievements of National Geographic Society
• Since its inception in 1888 it has funded thousands of research, conservation and education programs around the globe.
• It helped to create a community of explorers who have opened our eyes to the wonders of our living planet, taken us to new frontiers, and illuminated the plight of critical species.
• Its explorers like Alberto Nava and Lee Berger are uncovering astonishing clues about human evolution and migration.
• Its Pristine Seas project has helped governments and communities protect 850000 square miles of critical ocean habitat.
• Its Big Cats Initiative has supported more than 70 conservation projects to help save lions, cheetahs, snow leopards, and jaguars.
• National Geographic magazine was among the first to cover issues of global warming and changing climates—running articles in the magazine as early as the 1970s and 80s.
• Through magazines, television productions (National Geographic Channel), books, expeditions, channels, mobile, and social media platforms like Snapchat, Instagram, and Nat Geo View it reaches more than 700 million people worldwide each month and inspires them to take action.
About UNEP Champions of the Earth Award
• It is United Nation's top environmental accolade awarded by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
• It recognizes visionary people and organisations all over the world that exemplify leadership and advocate action on sustainable development, climate change and a life of dignity for all.
• The annual award was established in 2004.
• The awards are conferred in four categories viz., policy leadership, entrepreneurial vision, inspiration and action and science and innovation.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 14 September 2015