28 February: National Science Day
The National Science Day 2018 was observed across India on February 28, 2018. This year celebrations of the Day were organised by the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
On the occasion of National Science Day, the National Awards were conferred on the awardees for 2017 for their outstanding contribution in communication of Science & Technology and for promoting scientific temper.
Theme of National Science Day 2018
The theme of National Science Day 2018 is 'Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future'. The theme aims to raise public appreciation of the scientific issues.
National Science Day
• The Day is celebrated every year on 28 February to mark the discovery of the Raman Effect ( a phenomenon of scattering of photons) by Indian physicist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman on 28 February 1928.
• For his path-breaking discovery, CV Raman was knighted in 1929 and was awarded with the Nobel Prize in 1930. This was the first Nobel Prize won by an Indian in the field of Science.
• National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC) of DST is nodal agency to support catalyze and coordinate celebration of the Day throughout the country.
• Many institutions also organize Open House for their laboratories and apprise students about career opportunities available in Science &Technology.
• The first National Science Day was celebrated on 28 February 1987.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
National Awards in Science &Technology 2017: Awardees
• For the year 2017, Raghbir Singh Khandpur from Punjab was selected for National Award for Outstanding Efforts in S&T Communication.
• Tarun Kumar Jain, B.Sasikumar and Dilip Kumar Sarma won National Award for Outstanding Efforts in S&T Communication through Print Media including Books and Magazines.
• Jyotirmayee Mohanty and Sarika Gharu are the National Awardees for Outstanding Efforts in S&T Popularization among Children.
• Socio Cultural Development Centre, Odisha won the National Award for Outstanding Efforts in S&T through Innovative and Traditional methods.
• Indian Society of Remote Sensing won the National Award for Outstanding Efforts in S&T Communication in the Electronic Medium.
• The National Award for Women Development through Application of Science and Technology for the year 2017 was conferred on Socio Cultural Development Centre, Jagatsinghpur, Odisha.
National Awards in Science & Technology
• The Department of Science & Technology instituted the National Awards in 1987 to stimulate, encourage and recognize outstanding efforts in the area of science popularization & communication and in promoting scientific temper.
• The award consists of Rs 200000, a memento and a citation in the S&T Communication category.
• All the other National Awards consists of Rs 100000 prize money, a memento and a citation.
• The National Award for Women Development through Application of Science and Technology consists of Rs 15 lakhs prize money, a memento and a citation.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.