New species of fish discovered in Arunachal Pradesh
The new species of the fish is named as Schizothorax Sikusirumensis. The name has been derived from the name of the rivers from where it was found.
A new species of fish has been founded in North-Eastern State Arunachal Pradesh. Associate Professor & Head, Department of Zoology, Jawaharlal Nehru College, Pasighat, Dr. Keshav Kumar Jha has discovered a new species from genus Schizothorax.
The new species of the fish is named as Schizothorax sikusirumensis. The name has been derived from the name of the rivers from where it was found.
This new species of fish have been collected from the junction of River Siku and Sirum which is near Gakang area under the Mebo circle of Siang district. The fish has been inhabiting the waterlogged area of torrential river damage.
New species of #fish discovered in Arunachal Pradesh. Jawaharlal Nehru College, Zoology dept head Dr. Keshav Kumar Jha discovers new fish species from genus Schizothorax. Fish species names as #SchizothoraxSikusirumensis.— All India Radio News (@airnewsalerts) June 15, 2020
Other five species of fish discovered in Arunachal Pradesh:
In 2019, the research team of fisheries and aquatic ecology which was led by Prof. D.N. Das from Rajiv Gandhi University had discovered five species of fish from the state of Arunachal Pradesh.
• Mystus Prabini (discovered in Dibang and Sinkin rivers in the Lower Dibang Valley district).
• The Exostoma Kottelati (it was discovered in the Ranga river in lower Subansiri district).
• Creteuchiloglanis tawangensis (this species was discovered in Tawangchu river in Tawang district).
• The Garra Ranganensis (founded in Ranga river).
• The Physoschistura harkishorei ( this fish species was discovered in the Lohit and Dibang rivers in lower Dibang valley districts).