The Odisha Government on 21 December 2015 launched Anwesha scheme to provide free education to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe students. Under the scheme, 5000 SC and ST children will annually be enrolled into Standard I in leading private schools in urban areas of the state.
State Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced the scheme at Saragi Phul- a three day children's festival for ST, SC children held at Adivasi Ground, Bhubaneswar.
Highlights of the Anwesha scheme
• The government will bear all expenses for education of the students under the scheme which will be implemented in 17 districts.
• The expenses for fees, uniform, books, hostel accommodation as well transportation will be sponsored by the government.
• The government aims to enrol a total of 50000 SC and ST students in phases.
• Over 3.5 lakh ST and SC students staying in hostels are to continue their education while 2 lakh more will avail the facility soon.
• For each student, government will give 25000 rupees for school fees per annum excluding hostel cost and scholarship.
• Separate hostel will be constructed for these children.
• Counsellor will be appointed to help students in self-studies in hostels.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Anwesha scheme
When: 21 December 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.