Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 22 January 2015 launched a small deposit scheme Sukanya Samridhi Yojana for girl child under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign.
The scheme will ensure equitable share to a girl child in resources and savings of a family in which she is generally discriminated against a male child.
Sukanya Samridhi Yojana will enable parents to open bank accounts of girls who are under 10 years of age.
About the Sukanya Samridhi Account
• Sukanya Samridhi Account will fetch an interest rate of 9.1 percent and provide income tax rebate.
• Sukanya Samridhi Account can be opened at any time from the birth of a girl child till she attains the age of 10 years with a minimum deposit of 1000 rupees.
• A maximum of 1.5 lakh rupees can be deposited during the financial year. The account can be opened in any post office or authorised branches of commercial banks.
• The account will remain operative for 21 years from the date of opening of the account or marriage of the girl child after attaining 18 years of age.
• To meet the requirement of higher education expenses, partial withdrawal of 50 percent of the balance amount will be allowed after the girl child has attended 18 years of age.
When: 22 January 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.