Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle crowned Miss World 2016
Miss Puerto Rico Stephanie Del Valle grabs the Miss World 2016 title beating her counterparts from Indonesia and Dominican Republic. Miss India Priyadarshini Chatterjee failed to qualify into the top 10 after getting to the top 20.
Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle was crowned Miss World 2016 at the 66th edition of the event held at MGM National Harbor, Maryland in the United States of America on 18 December 2016.
The competition saw a total of 117 contestants from countries across the globe. Stephanie Del Valle beat runner-ups Miss Dominican Republic Yaritza Reyes and Miss Indonesia Natasha Mannuela to grab the esteemed title. Other contestants who made it to the top five were Miss Philippines Catriona Elisa Gray and Miss Kenya Evelyn Njambi.
19-year-old Dev Valle was crowned by Miss World 2015, Mireia Lalaguna Royo. With the win, she becomes the second Puerto Rican to hold the title since the start of the competition in 1951. The first Puerto Rican to win the title was Wilnelia Merced in 1975. Dev Valle hopes to use this victory to enter the entertainment industry.
Miss India Priyadarshini Chatterjee, fell out of the race after failing to qualify in the top 10. She had initially made it into the top 20 and even into the top five for Beauty with a Purpose title, which was, however, later won by Miss Indonesia. The 20-year-old was the first candidate from the North East region to represent India at the World pageant.
• Miss Cook Islands, Natalia Short won the sports challenge
• Miss China PR, Jing Kong won the Top Model competition
• Miss Mongolia, Bayartsetseg Altangerel was the winner of the Talent challenge
• Miss Philippines Catriona Gray won the Multimedia challenge
• Miss Indonesia Natasha Mannuela won the Beauty with a Purpose title.
All these five challenge winners automatically earned a place in the Top 20.
The country to hold the maximum number of winners is Venezuela with 6 Miss World titles, followed by India and the United Kingdom with 5 wins and then South Africa, United States, Iceland, Jamaica, and Sweden, all of whom are tied with 3 wins each.
The last Indian to have won the Miss World crown was Priyanka Chopra in the year 2000 and before that it was Yukta Mookhey in 1999 and Diana Hayden in 1997. Reita Faria was the very first Indian to grab the title in 1966 and decades later in 1994 the crown had again found its way to India because of none other than Aishwarya Rai.
About Miss World Pageant
• It is the oldest surviving major international beauty pageant.
• It was created by Eric Morley in 1951 in the United Kingdom
• It is being co-chaired by Julia Morley since the death of her husband in 2000.
• The main rivals of the competition are Miss Universe and Miss Earth, which are also equally popular global beauty pageants.