Rashtriya Ekta Diwas was observed on 31 October 2014 to commemorate the 139th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
The decision to observe 31 October as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas or National Integration Day was taken by the Union Government to reiterate India’s strength and buoyancy against adversaries.
The day was inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi who paid floral tributes at the statue of Sardar Patel and also flagged off the Run For Unity in New Delhi.
The Run for Unity campaign is the key highlight to pay tribute to the efforts made by Sardar Patel to unite India. A nationwide marathon took place on the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas.
During the occasion, the PM praised Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who is also known as the Iron Man of India who gave Ek Bharat (United India) and requested the people to work towards creating Shresth Bharat (Foremost India).
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also remembered former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her death anniversary, who was assassinated 30 years ago October 31 by her own bodyguards.
About Vallabhbhai Patel
• Vallabhbhai Patel was born on 31 October 1875 at Karamsand in Gujarat.
• He was barrister who studied in London and practiced in Godhra, Borsad and Anand places of Gujarat.
• He played a key leadership role in organising peasant movements in Kheda, Borsad and Bardoli in Gujarat and promoted the Quit India Movement against the British Raj.
• He joined the Indian National Movement under Mahatma Gandhi and grew up to become one of its tallest leaders.
• He was the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of India.
• He is credited for the integration of over 500 independent princely states in 1947-49 from the British colonial provinces by Independence Act 1947.
• He is known as the Iron Man of India or Bismarck of India and he is also remembered as the Patron Saint of India's civil servants for establishing modern all-India services.
When: 31 October 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.