Lakshmi Vilas Bank-Indiabulls Housing Finance: RBI rejects proposed merger

Lakshmi Vilas Bank-Indiabulls Housing Finance merger plan: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) rejected the proposed and much-talked merger plan between Indiabulls housing Finance and Lakshmi Vilas bank.

Created On: Oct 10, 2019 11:55 IST
LVB-Indiabulls Housing merger
LVB-Indiabulls Housing merger

Lakshmi Vilas Bank-Indiabulls Housing Finance merger: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) rejected the proposed and much-talked merger plan between Indiabulls Housing Finance and Lakshmi Vilas bank. The reason for rejection is not publically available. However, in a statement, Lakshmi Vilas Bank said: "This is to inform that RBI vide their letter dated October 09, 2019, informed that the application for voluntary amalgamation of Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd and Indiabulls Commercial Credit Ltd with Lakshmi Vilas Bank Ltd cannot be approved."  

Earlier, the Competition Commission of India had already given its approval for the merger in the month of June this year. It is speculated the RBI rejected the merger deal because of the high level of bad loans, negative return on assets in recent years and lack of risk management capabilities. Due to these performance-related concerns, RBI had put Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) under the Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework.

Prior to this, in the last month,  Delhi's Economic Offences Wing (EOW) registered an FIR against the LVB board, alleging cheating and misappropriation. This is not the first time that the RBI has rejected  Indiabulls Housing Finance and Lakshmi Vilas bank merger. In 2014 also RBI had rejected the proposed merger plan between these two entities.

Also Read: Merger of Lakshmi Vilas Bank with Indiabulls Housing announced

Background:

On April 5, 2019, Indiabulls Housing Finance and Lakshmi Vilas bank had announced the merger after the approval came from the board of LVB. And they sought the approval for the same from RBI in May. As per this board approved merger plan, every 100 shares of LVB, will be equal to 14 shares of Indiabulls Housing Finance.

According to this amalgamation plan, The merged entity will be known as ‘Indiabulls Lakshmi Vilas Bank’ and in size, it will become one of the largest private banks in India. As per this plan, IBHFL would own 90.5 percent of the merged entity while LVB would hold the rest 9.5 percent. 

What's Next?

Lakshmi Vilas Bank, after the RBI rejection, will face many challenges to raise capital as it has already been put under PCA. Under this corrective action, the RBI has restricted RVB from issuing big loans,  and limits on the opening  of new branches, among other measures. The LVB also required to raise capital to be able to come out of PCA restrictions imposed by the RBI.

It was also crucial for Indiabulls Housing as it was looking to diversify its asset base.

Also Read: Mega Bank Merger: Key Figures, Motive, Impact, Significance & all you need to know - Explained

Also Read: IDFC Bank to be renamed as IDFC First Bank

Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app

एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐप

AndroidIOS

Related Stories

Comment (0)

Post Comment

4 + 1 =
Post
Disclaimer: Comments will be moderated by Jagranjosh editorial team. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant will not be published. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.

    Monthly Current Affairs PDF

    • Current Affairs PDF November 2021
    • Current Affairs PDF October 2021
    • Current Affairs PDF September 2021
    • Current Affairs PDF August 2021
    • Current Affairs PDF July 2021
    • Current Affairs PDF June 2021
    View all

    Monthly Current Affairs Quiz PDF

    • Current Affairs Quiz PDF November 2021
    • Current Affairs Quiz PDF October 2021
    • Current Affairs Quiz PDF September 2021
    • Current Affairs Quiz PDF August 2021
    • Current Affairs Quiz PDF July 2021
    • Current Affairs Quiz PDF June 2021
    View all