Regional Poets sweep up 16 Sahitya Academy Awards
Regional language poets dominated the Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar 2017 with sixteen awards in various languages.
The Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar 2017 was dominated by regional language poets, who took away sixteen awards for their exceptional poetry works. The other awardees included five authors for short stories, two for biographies and one for essay.
All the recipients would be facilitated with the Puraskar at a special function that is scheduled to be organised on 14 November 2017. The award would be presented in the form of a casket comprising an engraved copper plaque and a cheque worth Rs 50000.
• Assamese poet Pratim Baruah was honoured with the award for his work, Xodhahe Nohol Tok o Bokul.
• Bodo poet Bijit Gwra Ramchiary also won the award for his book on poetry titled 'Gwrbwni Aroj'.
• Hindi poet Taro Sindik also won an award for his book on poetry titled ‘Aksharo Ki Vinti’.
• Other poets who got the award included Rajinder Ranjha (Dogri), Kh.Krishnamohan Singha (Manipuri), Nighat Sahiba (Kashmiri) and Amey Vishram Naik (Konkani) for their works ‘Tere Hirke Ch’, ‘Kellaba Unagi Ishei’, ‘Zard Panike Dai’ and ‘Mog Dot Com’ respectively.
• Other poets including Chandan Kumar Jha for Maithili, Saran Muskan for Nepali, Suryasnata Tripathy for Odia, Harman for Punjabi, Hemchandra Belwal for Sanskrit, Maina Tudu for Santali, Rekha Sachdev Pohani for Sindhi, J. Jayabharathi for Tamil and Mercy Margaret for Telugu were also chosen for the award.
• In other categories, English author Manu S. Pillai and Urdu author Rasheed Ashraf Khan won the award for their biographies, ‘The Ivory Throne’ and ‘Maulana Mohammed Husain Azad Aur Unka Shairi Safar’ respectively.
• Marathi author, Rahul Kosambi bagged the award for his essays, Ubha – Aadava.
• The authors who were chosen for the award under the short story category include Shanthi K. Appana for Kannada, Aswathy Sasikumar for Malayalam, Ummed Dhaniya for Rajasthani, Shamik Ghosh for Bengali and Rami Mori for Gujarati.