Jeppiaar, a renowned politician-turned-educationalist and founder of Jeppiaar Educational Trust, passed away on 18 June 2016 following a brief illness at Chennai. He was 85.
He was originally named as Jesadimai Pangiraj. He was a pioneer in the setting up of private engineering institutions in Tamil Nadu and was the founder chancellor of Sathyabama University.
• He started his career as a police man.
• He was AIADMK secretary of the Chennai District from 1972 to 1987 and had also served as a Special Envoy to the then Chief Minister MG Ramachandran.
• Besides, he successfully produced seven Tamil movies, directed one movie in Tamil and was featured as the hero in a Tamil flick.
• He was the only non-official member to have occupied the post of chairman of the Madras Water Supply and Sewage Board and later served as Director of Tamil Nadu Fisheries Development Corporation.
• Later, he began to be known as a pioneer for setting up engineering institutions at Chennai in the late 80s.
• He was the president of the consortium of professional arts and science colleges of Tamil Nadu.
• In 1987, he founded the Sathyabama Engineering College which later became Sathyabama University.
• He had a law degree from Madras University following which he pursued a Master of Arts degree from Mysore University and a his doctoral degree in Anna University on Water Resource Management.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App