Sahitya Akademi Awards 2016 were conferred on twenty-four writers on 22 February 2017. The eminent authors were conferred with the award/honour for writing in as different Indian languages.
The awards were conferred on them at the annual Festival of Letters. The festival, which began 21 February 2017, will continue till 26 February 2017. The distinguished physicist and Marathi writer Jayant Vishnu Narlikar was the chief guest of the award ceremony.
The awards were conferred in different genres and they included poetry, essay, short story, novel, criticism and play.
Awardees in different genres were
• Jnan Pujari: Was awarded for book Meghmalar Bhraman written in Assamese.
• Anju (Anjali Narzary): Was awarded for book Ang Maboroi Dong Dasong written in Bodo.
• Kamal Vora: Was awarded for book Anekek written in Gujarati.
• Prabha Varma: Was awarded for book Shyamamadhavan written in Malayalam.
• Sitanath Acharya: Was awarded for book Kavyanirjhari written in Sanskrit.
• Gobinda Chandra Majhi: Was awarded for book Nalha written in Santali.
• Nand Javeri: Was awarded for book Akhar Katha written in Sindhi.
• Papineni Sivasankar: Was awarded for book Rajanigandha written in Telugu.
Hindi Scholar and writer Surendra Verma selected for Vyas Samman 2016
Genre Short Story
• Chhatrapal: Was awarded for book Cheta written in Dogri.
• Shyam Darihare: Was awarded for book Barki Kaki at Hotmail Dot Com written in Maithili.
• Moirangthem Rajen: Was awarded for book Cheptharaba Eshingpun written in Manipuri.
• Asaram Lomate: Was awarded for book Aalok written in Marathi.
• Paramita Satpathy: Was awarded for book Prapti written in Odia.
• Bulaki Sharma: Was awarded for book Murdjat Ar Dujee Kahaniyan written in Rajasthani.
• Vannadhasan: Was awarded for book Oru Siru Isai written in Tamil.
• Gita Upadhyay: Was awarded for book Janmabhumi Mero Swadesh written in Nepali.
• Jerry Pinto: Was awarded for book Em and the big Hoom written in English.
• Nasira Sharma: Was awarded for book Paarijat written in Hindi.
• Boluwaru Mohammad Kunhi: Was awarded for book Swatantryada Ota written in Kannada.
• Edwin J.F. D’souza: Was awarded for book Kale Bhangar written in Konkani.
• Aziz Hajini: Was awarded for book Aane Khane written in Kashmiri.
• Nizam Siddiqui: Was awarded for book Mabad-e-Jadidiat Se Naye Ahed Ki Takhliqiyat Tak written in Urdu.
• Nrisinghaprasad Badhuri: Was awarded for book Mahabharater Astadahi written in Bengali.
• Swarajbir: Was awarded for the play titled Masia Di Raat written in Punjabi.
About Sahitya Akademi
Sahitya Akademi award is a literary honour that is conferred annually on Indian authors/writers for their outstanding works of literary merit. The award established in 1954 is given on books of literary merit written in any of the major languages of India. The 2016 recipients of the honour were awarded a plaque and a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh each. Indian film-maker Satyajit Ray is the designer of the plaque awarded by the Sahitya Akademi.