Sania Mirza along with her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands on 8 Janaury 2017 won the 2017 Brisbane International Women’s Doubles title. It was the first win of the season for Mirza.
However, with the trophy came an end to Mirza’s 91-week reign as the world No. 1 doubles player in the WTA rankings. She ended up losing the world No.1 ranking to her partner, Mattek-Sands.
The top-seeded Indo-American duo scored 6-2 6-3 against the second-seeded Russian team of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina in the final of the tournament.
In 2016, the women’s doubles trophy was won by Sania Mirza and Swiss Martina Hingis.
About Brisbane International
• The Brisbane International is a professional tennis tournament.
• It is played on outdoor hard courts in Brisbane, Queensland.
• It is a part of the ATP World Tour 250 series of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour.
• It is also a part of the WTA Premier tournaments of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Tour.
• The tournament is held annually in January at the Queensland Tennis Centre.
• The 2017 Brisbane International is the ninth edition of the tournament.
• Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov was the winner of the 2017 Brisbane International Men’s Singles title.
• Czech Republic’s Karolina Pliskova was the winner of the 2017 Brisbane International Women’s Singles title.
• The duo of Thanasi Kokkinakis and Jordan Thompson won the 2017 Brisbane International Men’s Doubles title.
When: 8 Janaury 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.