Union Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India on 23 September 2013 launched a central sector scheme for Skill Development of Minorities.
Main Objectives of the scheme Learn and Earn
• To bring down unemployment rate of minorities during 12th Plan period (2012-17).
• To conserve and update traditional skills of minorities and establish their linkages with the market.
• To improve employability of existing workers, school dropouts etc. and ensure their placement.
• To generate means of better livelihood for marginalised minorities and bring them in the mainstream.
• To enable minorities to avail opportunities in the growing market.
• To develop potential human resource for the country.
Key features of Learn and Earn scheme
• Placement linked training programme for modern trades.
• Skills Training Programme for Traditional Trades.
• The training programme also includes soft skills training, basic Information and Technology (I.T) and English training.
• Project implementing agencies to ensure 75 percent employment and out of that 50 percent in organized sector.
• Mechanism for placement and post placement support.
• 100 percent assistance by Ministry of Minority affairs of Government of India.
The scheme will be implemented for the benefit of the 5 notified minority communities under National Commission for Minorities Act 1992(Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Parsis). However, in the States/UTs where some other minority communities notified by respective State/UT Governments exist, they may also be considered for the programme but they will not occupy more than 5 percent of the total seats.