Sitharaman sets up Task Force on Artificial Intelligence for Economic Transformation
The Task Force on Artificial Intelligence has been asked to submit concrete and implementable recommendations for government, industry and research institutions.
The Union Government on 25 August 2017 constituted a task force on Artificial Intelligence (AI) for the country's Economic Transformation. The 18-member panel, headed by Dr V. Kamakoti of IIT Madras, will comprise of experts, academics, researchers and industry leaders.
The panel has been asked to explore the possibilities to leverage Artificial Intelligence for development across various fields. The task force will submit concrete and implementable recommendations for government, industry and research institutions.
Members of the task force will are
1. Dr. V. Kamakoti, IIT Madras, Chairperson
2. Anuj Kapuria, High Tech RoboticSystemz Ltd., Member
3. Dr. Anurag Agarwal, Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology, CSIR, Member
4. Ashwini Asokan, Mad Street Den, Chennai, Member
5. Dr. Ashish Dutta, IIT Kanpur, Member
6. Dr. Shantanu Chaudhary, IIT Delhi, Department of Electrical Engineering, Member
7. G. Madhusudan, IIT Madras, Member
8. G. H. Rao, HCL Technology, Member
9. G. V. N. Apparao, Ex-Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Cognizant, Member
10. Komal Sharma Talwar, Founder, XLPAT, Member
11. Kunal Nandwani, Founder & CEO, uTrade Solutions, Member
12. Gautam Shroff, Vice President & Chief Scientist, TCS Innovation Labs, Tata Consultancy Services, Gurgaon, Member
13. K. Nagaraj Naidu, Joint Secretary (ITPO), Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Member
14. Ajay Kumar, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Electronics & IT, Member
15. Amandeep Gill, Ambassador/PR to CD, Geneva, Member
16. Dr. Aloke Mukherjee, DRDO, Member
17. Vijay Kumar Sankarapu, Founder & CEO, Arya.in, Member
18. Ravinder, Joint Secretary, DIPP, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Convenor
In addition to regular members, official participation from the following organizations shall also be requested:
1. NITI Aayog
2. Department of Science & Technology
3. Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman who constituted the task force on Artificial Intelligence said that with rapid development in the fields of information technology and hardware, the world is about to witness a fourth industrial revolution.
She said driven by the power of big data, high computing capacity, artificial intelligence and analytics, Industry 4.0 aims to digitise the manufacturing sector.