Tehmina Janjua was on 13 February 2017 appointed as the first woman Foreign Secretary of Pakistan to the United Nations (UN). She will be the Permanent Representative to the UN.
She will replace the outgoing Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry, who will now be the Ambassador to the United States (US). Janjua will join the office in the first week of March 2017.
She is the first woman of Pakistan to hold this key post at the United Nations.
About Tehmina Janjua
• Currently, Janjua is serving as the Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva.
• She has earlier served as ambassador to Italy.
• She also worked as spokesperson of the Pakistan's Foreign Office for two years.
• In 2016, Janjua led Pakistan's diplomatic efforts to get the UN High Commissioner on Human Rights to visit Kashmir following the death of over 90 civilians in clashes with Indian security forces.
• Janjua has not yet served on a major territorial desk at the UN headquarters, except for a year-long posting at the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe desk at the start of her Foreign Service career.
Who: Tehmina Janjua
When: 13 February 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.