The United States (US) Department of State on 13 January 2015 designated Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan’s (TTP) chief Maulana Fazlullah, also known as Mullah Fazlullah, as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist.
He was designated as a global terrorist under Executive Order (EO) 13224 that targets terrorists and people who provide support to terrorists or acts of terrorism.
Reason for designating Fazlullah as a Global terrorist
He was designated as a global terrorist after Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) under Fazlullah’s leadership claimed the responsibility of 16 December 2014 attack on the army school of Peshawar, Pakistan. The attack claimed lives of about 148 individuals including 134 students.
Effect of this designation
• It prohibits any US person from engaging in transactions with Fazlullah
• It freezes all property and interests of Fazlullah that are in the United States, or come within the United States or the possession or control of US persons
About Maulana Fazlullah
• In November 2014, he was elected as commander of Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) after death of former TTP leader 1 November 2013
• Before becoming the leader of TTP, he was involved in several terrorism activities like
a) Killing of Pakistani Army Major General Sanaullah Niazi in September 2013
b) In 2012, he ordered shooting of schoolgirl and activist Malala Yousafzai, the winner of Nobel Peace Prize 2014
c) He was responsible for the beheading of 17 Pakistani soldiers after an attack in June 2012
d) He ordered the targeted killings of elders who led peace committees against the Taliban
Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP)
Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) also known as Pakistani Taliban is an alliance of militant groups which was formed in 2007. It was formed to unify groups fighting against the Pakistani military in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province of Pakistan. TTP maintains close ties to senior al-Qa‘ida leaders, including al-Qa‘ida’s former head of operations in Pakistan.
• TTP was designated as the Foreign Terrorist Organization and a Specially Designated Global Terrorist on 1 September 2010 by the US Department of State
• TTP was also listed as terrorist organisation at the United Nations 1267/1989 Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee on 29 July 2011.
Previous Chief’s of Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan
• 1st Chief - Baitullah Mahsud who was killed in an explosion on 5 August 2009
• 2nd Chief - Hakimullah Mehsud who died on 1 November 2013 in a drone strike
When: 13 January 2015