Telecom regulator TRAI on 17 June 2013 announced reduction in the national mobile phone roaming charges which will come into effect 1 July 2013.
TRAI has also come out with conditional a free national roaming plan that is aimed at bringing down cellphone roaming charges.
Highlights of the new Charges as Levied by TRAI
• TRAI has reduced ceilings for national roaming calls and SMS and instituted a new regime for providing flexibility to telecom service providers to customise tariffs for national roamers through STVs (Special Tariff Vouchers) and Combo Vouchers.
• It has also mandated two types of free national roaming plans to be provided by all telecom service providers.
• The ceiling tariffs prescribed by TRAI in 2007 were 1.40 Rupees per minute for outgoing local calls and 2.40 Rupees per minute for outgoing STD calls while on national roaming.
• Ceilings have been reduced t 1 Rupee per minute and Re 1.50 per minute, respectively.
• Similarly, the ceiling tariffs for incoming calls while on national roaming have been reduced from 1.75 Rupees per minute to 75 paise per minute.
• Tariffs for outgoing SMS while on national roaming, which were earlier under forbearance, have now been capped: outgoing SMS (local) a 1 Rupee per SMS and outgoing SMS (STD) at 1.50 Rupees per SMS. Incoming SMS will remain free of charge.
• Tariffs for outgoing SMS while on national roaming, which were earlier under forbearance, have now been capped: outgoing SMS (local) at 1 Rupee per SMS and outgoing SMS (STD) at 1.50 Rupees per SMS. Incoming SMS will remain free of charge.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.