17 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like death of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Assam NRC draft and Kerala floods among others.
1. Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee passed away on August 16, 2018. In which year, he became India’s Prime Minister for first time?
2. Which Indian cities wete included in the Economist Intelligence Unit’s 2018 Global Liveability Index?
a) Chennai and Delhi
b) Delhi and Mumbai
c) Mumbai and Pune
d) Pune and Chennai
3. Which city hosted the 24th World Congress of Philosophy 2018?
a) New Delhi
4. Which committee was constituted by the Central government to coordinate the discharge of floodwaters from Kerala-Tamil Nadu inter-State projects?
a) Sushil Modi committee
b) Sunil Mehta committee
c) Bikram Dutta committee
d) Narendra Kumar committee
5. Which telecom company launched a VOIP based phone service ‘WINGS’?
6. Which organisation was ranked as India’s most patriotic brand, as per survey conducted by UK-based YouGov?
a) Maruti Suzuki
b) State Bank of India
d) Reliance Jio
7. The 18-time Grammy Award winning singer Aretha Franklin passed away recently at the age of 76. Which nation did she belong to?
a) United States
b) United Kindgom
8. Which country has formed ‘Iran Action Group’ for post-nuclear deal policy?
d) United States
9. The Supreme Court has directed which state’s NRC coordinator to submit district-wise percentage of the population excluded from the NRC draft?
a) Jammu and Kashmir
c) West Bengal
10. Which country has unveiled Chang'e 4 lunar rover to explore the far side of the moon by year end?
11. The Supreme Court has directed which state to reduce water level at Mullaperiyar dam by three feet?
c) Tamil Nadu
d) Andhra Pradesh
12. The world’s oldest cheese was discovered from a tomb in which nation?
1. (a) 1996
Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee passed away on August 16, 2018 following a prolonged illness at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi. He was the first non-Congress Prime Minister to serve a full five-year term. Vajpayee served three terms as the Prime Minister of India. He served the first term in 1996 for just 13 days. During his second term in 1998-199, he served for 13 months. In his final and third term, he served the nations for full five years from 1999-2004.
2. (b) Delhi and Mumbai
Austrian capital Vienna was ranked as the world’s most liveable city in a list of 140 global cities at the 2018 Global Liveability Index, which was released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). Delhi (112) and Mumbai (117) were the only two Indian cities that were included in the EIU’s annual index.
3. (c) Beijing
The 24th World Congress of Philosophy (WCP) was held in Beijing, China from August 13 to 17, 2018. It was organized by the International Federation of Philosophical Societies, and Peking University. Its theme was “Learning To Be Human”.
4. (d) Narendra Kumar committee
The Central government constituted a coordination committee headed by the Central Water Commission Chairman Narendra Kumar to coordinate the discharge of floodwaters from inter-State projects involving Kerala and Tamil Nadu, including Mullaperiyar and Aliyar.
5. (a) BSNL
The Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) launched a VOIP based service “WINGS”. The WINGS service offers unlimited free audio/video calling for one year. The service can be activated with a one-time fee of Rs 1,099.
6. (b) State Bank of India
As per survey conducted by UK-based YouGov, the State Bank of India (SBI) was ranked as the most patriotic brand followed by Tata Motors, Patanjali, Reliance Jio and BSNL. The survey, which covered 152 brands across 11 categories, is based on data collected online by YouGov Omnibus among 1193 respondents in the country between 2 August and 8 August.
7. (a) United States
US singer Aretha Franklin passed away recently at the age of 76. Franklin received the Grammy Award 18 times and was the first female vocalist to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Her style on hits such as "Respect" and "Natural Woman" attracted fans all over the world and influenced Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and other pop divas.
8. (d) United States
US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo has announced the formation of the Iran Action Group (IAG) to coordinate and run the country's policy towards Iran. The IAG will lead the way in growing efforts with nations that share the same understanding of the Iranian threat as the United States.
9. (b) Assam
The Supreme Court has asked the Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) coordinator to submit the data of district-wise percentage of the population excluded from the NRC draft in the state. Earlier, the SC bench had ruled that the National Register of Citizens (NRC) prepared for the state of Assam was only a draft and hence it cannot be the basis of any action by any authority against anyone.
10. (c) China
China has unveiled Chang'e 4 lunar rover to explore the far side of the moon by year end. In December, the vehicle will travel aboard the unmanned lunar probe Chang'e 4, which is expected to land in the Aitken basin on the far side of the Moon, not visible from the Earth.
11. (c) Tamil Nadu
The Supreme Court on August 16, 2018 directed the Tamil Nadu government to consider lowering the water level at Mullaperiyar dam to 139 feet from the current 142 feet, considering the ‘grave’ flood situation in all the 14 districts of Kerala.
12. (d) Egypt
The world's oldest cheese was recently discovered inside an Egyptian tomb. The tomb of Ptahmes, who was the mayor of Memphis in Egypt during the 13th century BC, was initially unearthed in 1885. After being lost under drifting sand, it was rediscovered in 2010 and archeologists found broken jars at the site a few years later.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider