21 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as world’s first floating nuclear power plant, 'Bastariya' battalion and Zojila tunnel project among others.
1. Which company acquired 72% stake in Bhushan Steel?
a) Tata Steel
d) JSW Steel
2. Who laid the foundation of the Zojila tunnel project in Leh?
a) Nirmala Sitharaman
b) Rajnath Singh
c) Narendra Modi
d) Venkaiah Naidu
3. Who commissioned CRPF's anti-naxal 'Bastariya' battalion in Raipur?
a) Venkaiah Naidu
b) Nirmala Sitharaman
c) Narendra Modi
d) Rajnath Singh
4. Which nation has launched the world’s first floating nuclear power plant?
5. Which two nations have agreed to abandon trade war and back off from imposing tariffs on each other?
a) US and Russia
b) China and Russia
c) US and China
d) South Korea and North Korea
6. The AfrAsia Bank global wealth migration review ranked India at which position among the top wealthy countries in the world?
7. Which country has decided to include Artificial Intelligence in its defence forces, becoming the fourth in the world?
a) North Korea
8. Nicolas Maduro was re-elected as the President of which nation in a controversial election?
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
9. Which state government has waived the application fees for grade III & grade IV jobs
10. Which state’s government would be launching the ‘Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana’ for safety of girl students?
b) Uttar Pradesh
Answers with Explanation
1. (a)Tata Steel
Tata Steel, through its wholly-owned subsidiary Bamnipal Steel Ltd (BNPL), has acquired 72.65 per cent controlling stake in Bhushan Steel Ltd (BSL) for around Rs 36,400 crore. The company was selected as the highest bidder in March 2018 to buy a controlling stake in Bhushan Steel, as part of bankruptcy proceedings.
2. (c) Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation of Zojila tunnel project in Jammu and Kashmir’s Leh district. The project will be India’s longest and Asia’s longest and strategic bi-directional tunnel, which will provide all-weather connectivity between Jammu and Kashmir’s Srinagar, Kargil and Leh districts.
3. (d) Rajnath Singh
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh commissioned the 'Bastariya' battalion of the Central Reserve Police Force into service in Chhattisgarh. The anti-Naxal battalion has been created for the first-time with more than 534 tribal youth from Chhattisgarh.
4. (b) Russia
Russia has launched Akademik Lomonosov, the world's first floating nuclear power plant at the St Petersburg shipyard. The plant is to be the first of a fleet of floating nuclear power stations to be stationed in the Russian Arctic.
5. (c) US and China
The United States and China have agreed to abandon any trade war and back off from imposing tariffs on each other. The announcement comes after months of increasing tensions that have set markets on edge over fears of a damaging trade war.
6. (c) Sixth
India was ranked sixth wealthiest country in the world with a total wealth of 8,230 billion US dollars. According to the AfrAsia Bank Global Wealth Migration Review, the US is the wealthiest country in the world with a total wealth of 62,584 billion dollars.
7. (b) India
After US, Russia and China, India has decided to include Artificial Intelligence in its defence forces with an aim to enhance the operational preparedness of the armed forces. A task force has been set up under the chairmanship of N Chandrasekaran to finalise the specifics and framework of the project.
8. (a) Venezuela
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro won another six years of term in an election that has been called as a sham by the opposition and other countries including the United States. The vote came amid opposition calls for a boycott.
9. (a) Assam
The Assam government has waived application fees for grade III and grade IV jobs. Assam’s Finance and Health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma informed that from now onwards, no candidate would have to give fees for applications for state government jobs in these categories.
10. (a) Haryana
The state government of Haryana would be launching the ‘Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana’ to ensure safety of girl students. The Yojana would be launched for five or more girl students. Besides, for facilitating women, the state government has opened women police stations in districts. Women help desks have also been set up.