23 April 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as World Earth Day, new immigration law and ordinance on rape convicts among others.
1. The national assembly of which country has passed a controversial immigration law in a close vote?
2. According to a new study published in Science journal, which animal may be the biggest mammal in 200 years?
3. Union Government is going to roll out initiative for prevention and control of which disease?
a) Viral Hepatitis
4. The opposition submitted a motion to impeach which top Government official?
b) Chief Justice of Supreme Court
c) Vice President
d) Finance Minister
5. Which country has agreed to halt its nuclear tests and ICBM launches?
a) North Korea
6. Who promulgated the ordinance to provide death penalty to rapists of girls below 12 years?
a) Narendra Modi
b) Dipak Misra
c) Ram Nath Kovind
d) Venkaiah Naidu
7. When is the World Earth Day observed every year?
a) April 20
b) April 21
c) April 22
d) April 23
8. Who received the first copy of the book ‘Adi Shankaracharya: Hinduism’s Greatest Thinker’?
a) Narendra Modi
b) Arun Jaitley
c) Venkaiah Naidu
d) Ramnath Kovind
9. The world’s first female foreign ministers meeting will be held in which country?
10. 8th South Asian Judo Championship was held in which country?
11. Which country recently announced an economic corridor with multi-dimensional connectivity through the Himalayas?
12. What was the theme of the 2018 World Earth Day?
a) End Plastic Pollution
b) Save Mother Earth from Plastic
c) No to Plastic
d) Plastic Pollution: A Menace
Answers with Explanation
1. (d) France
The National Assembly of France has passed a controversial immigration law, after 61 hours of debate. The controversial law, which was approved with 228 votes in favour, 139 against and 24 abstentions, exposed unprecedented divisions in President Emmanuel Macron's young centrist party.
2. (c) Cow
A new study states that the domestic cow may be the largest land mammal on Earth in 200 years if the loss of large-bodied and currently threatened animals continues in the future. The study showed that size-selective extinction in mammals is a hallmark of human activities, both in the past and present and not the norm in mammal evolution.
3. (a) Viral Hepatitis
The Union Health Ministry has decided to roll out an initiative for prevention and control of viral hepatitis. Viral hepatitis is recognised as a public health problem worldwide. India is committed to eliminating the disease by 2030.
4. (b) Chief Justice of Supreme Court
In a first, seven opposition parties led by the Indian National Congress had submitted a notice to the Rajya Sabha Chairman and Vice President, M Venkaiah Naidu on April 20 for the impeachment of Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra on five grounds of ‘misbehavior’.
5. (a) North Korea
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has declared that the nation would be halting its nuclear tests and intercontinental missile launches and will shut down its atomic test site. US President Trump welcomed the North's announcement, calling it ‘big progress’.
6. (c) Ram Nath Kovind
President Ram Nath Kovind has promulgated an ordinance that provides for stringent punishment, including death penalty, for those convicted of raping girls below the age of 12 years. The minimum punishment in the case of rape of girls below 16 years has been increased from 10 years to 20 years, extendable to life imprisonment.
7. (c) April 22
The World Earth Day (WED) is celebrated every year on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. The theme of the 2018 World Earth Day was End Plastic Pollution.
8. (d) Ramnath Kovind
Indian President Ramnath Kovind received the first copy of “Adi Shankaracharya: Hinduism’s Greatest Thinker”, on April 21, 2018 from the author Pavan Varma.
9. (d) Canada
The world’s first female foreign ministers meeting will be hosted by Canada and the European Union. It will be held for 2 days starting September 21 in Canada. The announcement was made by Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland on April 22.
10. (b) Nepal
8th South Asian Judo Championship was held in Lalitpur, Nepal. Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka participated in this 3 day championship.
11. (a) China
China on April 18, 2018 proposed the construction of the India-Nepal-China Economic Corridor with multi-dimensional connectivity through the Himalayas. The proposal came after Nepalese foreign minister Pradeep Kumar Gyawali held talks with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi in China.
12. (a) End Plastic Pollution
The World Earth Day (WED) is celebrated every year on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. The day was proposed at the UNESCO conference in 1969 and the first Earth Day celebrations took place in 1970.