24 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like 2018 Man Booker International Prize, SURYA KIRAN-XIII exercise and United States has disinvited China among others.
1. Who has won the prestigious 2018 Man Booker International Prize for fiction?
a) Olga Tokarczuk
b) Jennifer Croft
c) David Grossman
d) Philip Roth
2. Which city is hosting the Smart Cities India 2018 Expo?
b) New Delhi
3. When is the National Anti Terrorism Day celebrated in India every year?
a) May 19
b) May 20
c) May 21
d) May 22
4. Joint military exercise SURYA KIRAN-XIII will be conducted between India and which country?
5. Which airline launched the first commercial flight in Arunachal Pradesh?
a) Alliance Air
c) Spice Jet
6. India recently dragged the US to World Trade Organisation’s dispute settlement mechanism over the imposition of import duties on which commodity?
a) Iron & steel
b) Steel & aluminum
c) Shale Gas
7. An NGO from which state was awarded the first prize by National Bio-diversity Authority (NBA) for its efforts in conserving rare wildlife resources?
b) Arunachal Pradesh
8. Which state government has decided to launch a mobile app to provide advance information of lightning?
b) Andhra Pradesh
d) West Bengal
9. NITI Aayog signed a pact with which technology company to support Indian Government through technologies incorporated with artificial intelligence?
a) Thomson Reuters
b) ABB India
d) Cisco Systems
10. The United States has disinvited which country from Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) Exercise?
c) North Korea
11. India participated in RIMPAC for the first time in which year?
12. AB de Villiers announced his retirement from all forms of cricket on May 23, 2018. He was a star batsman of which cricketing side?
c) New Zealand
d) South Africa
1. (a) Olga Tokarczuk
Polish author Olga Tokarczuk won the prestigious 2018 Man Booker International Prize for fiction for her novel ‘Flights’. The novel, translated by Jennifer Croft, interweaves narratives of travel with explorations of the human body.
2. (b) New Delhi
The Smart Cities India 2018 Expo began in New Delhi on May 23, 2018. The mega event, consisting five expos is being held with a vision to help develop attractive and safe cities that evoke pride, passion and a sense of belonging among citizens.
3. (c) May 21
The National Anti Terrorism Day (NATD) is celebrated every year in India on May 21 to generate awareness in the country among all sections of people, about the danger of terrorism and its effect on the people, society and the country as a whole. It was on this day in 1991, the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated by a suicide squad of Liberation of Tamil Tigers Eelam (LTTE) in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu.
4. (d) Nepal
Joint military exercise SURYA KIRAN-XIII will be conducted between India and Nepal at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand from May 30 to June 12, 2018. This will be the thirteenth edition of the military exercise between India and Nepal.
5. (a) Alliance Air
The first commercial flight to Arunachal Pradesh landed at Pasighat Airport in East Siang district on May 21, 2018 with 25 passengers, including Chief Minister Pema Khandu on board. The 42-seater ATR aircraft of the Alliance Airlines landed at Pasighat at 2.14pm after a one-and-a-half-hour journey from Guwahati.
6. (b) Steel & aluminum
India has dragged US to World Trade Organisation’s dispute settlement mechanism over the imposition of import duties on steel & aluminum. Donald Trump had recently signed two proclamations that levied a 25% on steel and a 10% tariff on aluminum imported from all countries except Canada & Mexico.
7. (b) Arunachal Pradesh
An NGO from West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh has bagged the first prize from the National Bio-diversity Authority (NBA) for its efforts in conserving rare wildlife resources in the area. The NBA, established by the Centre in 2003, honoured the Singchung Bugun Village Community Reserve (SBVCR) with a citation, a memento and a cash prize of Rs one lakh during a function in Hyderabad.
8. (c) Odisha
The Odisha government has decided to introduce a special mobile application to provide advance information on lightning which has claimed at least 61 lives between April and May 2018. The mobile application will be developed to alert smartphone users if they are in a lightning zone. The information on the app will help people move to safer places and save their lives.
9. (b) ABB India
NITI Aayog and ABB India have signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) to support the Indian government realise its vision of ‘Make in India’ through advanced manufacturing technologies that incorporate the latest developments in robotics and artificial intelligence.
10. (a) China
The United States has withdrawn its invitation to China to participate in one of the world's largest international maritime warfare exercises – ‘RIMPAC’. The exercise, held in every two years in Hawaii, involves more than 20 countries from across the world including India, Australia, Japan and the UK.
11. (c) 2016
India participated in RIMPAC 2016, which had witnessed participation from around 45 ships, 200 aircraft and more than 25,000 people from 26 nations across the world. China was also invited to RIMPAC 2016 despite the tension in the South China Sea.
12. (d) South Africa
Star South Africa batsman AB de Villiers announced his decision to retire from all forms of cricket with immediate effect on May 23. De Villiers is regarded as one of the greatest batsmen of all time. He holds many batting records, including the world's fastest ODI 50, 100 and 150.