29 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Sterlite Copper Plant, new CFO of RBI and Swachh Bharat Mission among others.
1. Which state government ordered the permanent closure of Sterlite Copper Plant?
d) Tamil Nadu
2. Which state government has constituted a state Animal Welfare Board?
a) Madhya Pradesh
c) Uttar Pradesh
3. Kummanam Rajasekharan has been sworn in as the Governor of which state?
4. Which cricketer was named as the International Cricketer of the Year at CEAT Cricket Ratings awards?
a) MS Dhoni
b) Virat Kohli
c) AB de Villiers
d) Kane Williamson
5. The historic bill allowing Hindu widows to remarry was passed by an assembly in which nation?
6. Mountain ranges have been discovered which continent?
7. Who was appointed as the Interim Prime Minister of Pakistan?
a) Nasir Ul Mulk
b) Khursheed Shah
c) Shahid Khaqan
d) Shaukat Aziz
8. Name the actor who launched the twin pit toilet technology ad campaign for the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen)?
a) Aamir Khan
b) Akshay Kumar
c) Amitabh Bacchan
d) Shahrukh Khan
9. Which organisation signed MoU with Union Government to provide development support in Naxal-hit districts in Chhattisgarh?
a) Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
b) Shiv Nadar Foundation
c) Tata Trusts
d) Being Human
10. Who was appointed as the first Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Reserve Bank of India?
a) Narayan Murthy
b) Rajiv Agarwal
c) Parijaat Dua
d) Sudha Balakrishnan
11. Which state recently set August 15, 2018 as the deadline to phase out plastic carry bags?
b) West Bengal
12. Name the oldest Indian woman who scaled the Mount Everest.
a) Damini Luthra
b) Sangeeta Bahl
c) Neha Chadha
d) Anita Sharma
Answers with Explanation
1. (d) Tamil Nadu
The Tamil Nadu government has ordered for the permanent closure of the controversial Sterlite Copper factory in Tuticorin, which was the centre of violent protests last week that led to the killing of 13 people and left around 100 wounded.
2. (b) Haryana
The Haryana government has constituted the state Animal Welfare Board. The Board was constituted under the chairmanship of additional chief secretary, Animal Husbandry and Dairying. The functions of the board would include ensuring proper implementation of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 and other Acts or Regulations for animal welfare applicable to Haryana.
3. (d) Mizoram
Kummanam Rajasekharan was sworn-in as the 18th Governor of Mizoram at the Durbar hall of Raj Bhavan in Aizwal on May 19, 2018. Rajasekharan began his career as an activist of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) in the 1970s. He was anointed the president of Kerala BJP unit in 2015.
4. (b) Virat Kohli
India skipper Virat Kohli has emerged as the International Cricketer of the Year at the CEAT Cricket Ratings awards, which were presented in Mumbai on May 28, 2018. The 29-year-old cricketer had a memorable last season with the bat. Batsman Rohit Sharma collected the award on behalf of Kohli.
5. (a) Pakistan
A landmark Bill allowing Hindu widows to remarry has been passed by the assembly of Pakistan’s Sindh Province. The bill allows Hindu widows to remarry out of their own free will but only after a period of six months has lapsed after their husband’s death.
6. (c) Antarctica
Mountain ranges and valleys have been discovered by scientists deep beneath the Western Antarctic ice region. This discovery will contribute to the rising global sea levels. Three valleys were discovered by the researchers linking the two major parts of Antarctica, out of which, one is 217 miles long.
7. (a) Nasir Ul Mulk
Nasir Ul Mulk, the former Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice (retd), was appointed as the interim Prime Minister of Pakistan until the General Elections that will be held on July 25, 2018.
8. (b) Akshay Kumar
Actor Akshay kumar launched an advertisement campaign on twin pit toilet technology for the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) in New Delhi on May 27, 2018. The ad campaign focuses on promoting the twin pit toilet technology in rural India.
9. (c) Tata Trusts
Tata Trusts signed an MoU with the Government to provide development initiatives in 8 worst Naxal-affected districts in Chhattisgarh, which were covered under the “transformation of aspirational” districts programme of NITI Ayog.
10. (d) Sudha Balakrishnan
Sudha Balakrishnan was appointed as the first Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Balakrishnan, a chartered accountant, was until recently a vice-president at the NSDL, India’s first and largest depository.
11. (a) Tripura
The Tripura government has set August 15 as the deadline to phase out plastic carry bags. The government, as part of the ‘Himalayan Cleanup’ programme, urged people to replace their plastic bags with biodegradable ones.
12. (b) Sangeeta Bahl
Sangeeta Bahl, at the age of 53, has become the oldest Indian woman to scale the Mount Everest. She scaled the peak on May 19, 2018, with the help of 2 Sherpas and was felicitated at the Indian embassy in Kathmandu.