Toyo Ito, the Japanese architect was declared as the winner of 2013 Pritzker Architecture Prize on 18 March 2013. The Pritzker Architecture Prize is said to be the most prestigious and richest award of architecture. Often, this prize is also referred as the Nobel Prize of Architecture.
71-year-old Toyo Ito is the sixth Japanese architect to win this prize. Others who won the prize include late Kenzo Tange, the designer of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial (in 1987), Fumihiko Maki (in 1993), Tadao Ando, the designer of Church of the Light (in 1995) and team of Kazuyo Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa (in 2010).
He will win 100000 US Dollars as well as a bronze medal at the official Pritzker ceremony will take place on 29 May 2013 at John F Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston.
About Toyo Ito
• Toyo Ito was born in Seoul to the Japanese parents.
• He has a career spanning over duration of 50 years. His initial focus was on the minimalist residences. Later, his projects included Mikimoto in the glitzy Omotesando, flagship stores for Tod’s and Ginza districts.
• He is best renowned for Sendai Mediatheque, the public library as well as art gallery which was completed in 2001.
• His notable creation also includes Municipal Funeral Hall in Gifu in Japan, arch-filled Tama Art University library in suburban Tokyo as well as White O residence in Marbella in Chile.
Other honours received by Toyo Ito
• In 2010, the 22nd Praemium Imperiale in Honor of Prince Takamatsu
• In 2006, the Royal Institute of British Architects’ Royal Gold Medal
• In 2002, the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement for 8th Venice Biennale International Exhibition
About the Pritzker Architecture Prize
• Pritzker Architecture Prize is awarded annually in the month of May.
• Pritzker Architecture Prize was established back in 1979 in order to honour the best living architect who contributed towards the art of architecture.
• Late Philip Johnson won the first Pritzker Laureate in 1979.
• The prize is sponsored by Hyatt Foundation.
• This prize was established by late entrepreneur Jay A Pritzker along with his wife Cindy. The business interests of the Pritzker family were headquartered in Chicago.
• The winner receives an amount of 100000 US Dollars as well as a bronze medallion. The bronze medallion is based on the designs of Louis Sullivan.
Who: Toyo Ito
When: 18 March 2013